We Passed

WE PASSED

lucy and bella passed there level 2 obedience last night - very proud as i have been working really hard with them almost every day, so next week we move up to level 3

have big doubts about bella though - last night after a couple of really good runs and making good progress at home she turned in to quivering non-compliant mess - thankfully they still passed us because we made awesome progress last week

she wouldn't drop, not interested in food, just wanted to get back to lucy - trying very had to convince her i am pack leader not lucy but she disagrees - monster

the clicker training is the best thing for her as are the paws awhile treats - even they didn't work last night - she shut down

tempted to keep her back in class 2 for another 4 weeks with the others to continue her confidence and keep them separated during lessons

but still proud of them

any suggestions how to increase the confidence of a shy insecure dog

I would seperate their classes if you can, but if Bella is shuting down you need to remove her far enough from the stress so that she doesn't.

Also you may need a more valuable treat. With my Whippet Red Rooster chicken means you just about lose your fingers!

If Bella is turning into a quivering mess, she is getting too much pressure applied. I would consider removing her from classes all together.

Take her down to the grounds and have her close enough to the action so that she knows what is going on, but is still able to function. Highly reinforce her for being there. Over time mover her closer-but still what she can handle- so in time she sees the closer she gets to other dogs the more treats she gets. She will then start to see getting close to other dogs as vaulable.

If you force her to be in class when she is visably upset and shut down you are just re-inforcing to her that being that close to other dogs is scarey. She needs to be able to learn that being around dogs gets her more attention and treats, so is therefore a good thing.

Good luck with the training :laugh: