Sasha Has Canine Cough...

Yes, she's coughing and gagging again... I suspected as much when she had a gunky eye the other day, and she gets a bit of build up in the corner of her nose. Wouldn't say it's running persay, just a bit of gunk build up. It's not yellow or anything.

I was wondering if perhaps her immune system might be low, and that's why she's got it again? Or do they just get it if it's going around regardless?

What is a good idea to help her build her immune system? I've been thinking of giving her vitamin supplement (general vitamins), would this be a good idea - or should I try something else?

Thank you!

Thank you very much Huskyheaven - she seems to pick up everything that's even remotely in our area :hitself: I hate when she is sick, it means a vet trip which is a whole new problem in itself (unless she is sedated)... if only she wasn't so afraid that the vet is going to hurt her.

How's your boy doing?

We are so lucky that Asher and Nooki dont have a problem with the vet. Makes a huge difference.

Not sure if this is something you have tried or not, but I recommend a walk or run before the vet visit if its possible. Our Vet is about 3 kms away so we walk there and it tends to take the edge off.

Asher is doing just fine K_L. He has a bit of soreness but he is in great spirits. Went to AquaDog last night and had a ball. Asher loved it although 4 laps was one too many. Nooki was her usual princess self and didnt like it very much, but she will learn. Going to go back about 6 weeks after surgery to start hydro physio.

Heres a few sites I looked at might interest you lovie ...... but you may have read them already :hitself:

http://www.campbowwow.com/us/il/mchenry/Do...97/Default.aspx

http://www.brookbyherbs.co.nz/dhealthkc.htm

http://www.good-dog-care.com/kennel-cough.html

Treatment of kennel cough

Although antibiotics would probably be prescribed as a medication to cure kennel cough, they are best avoided if possible, as they can weaken the immune system just when it needs to be functioning at an optimum to fight off kennel cough and any secondary infections.

An excellent natural remedy for kennel cough is KC Defense from Native Remedies. It treats acute kennel cough and other respiratory infections in pets. It's an oral natural vaccine to immunize your pet and prevent kennel cough and other viral respiratory infections. It acts as a preventative just before a visit to the vet or to kennels to protect against infection.

For dogs who have contracted kennel cough or any other viral respiratory illness, KC-Defense should help to clear symptoms quickly and improvement is usually evident within one or two days.

What will KC-Defense do for my dog?

KC-Defense has been sold worldwide for over ten years to thousands of customers in virtually every country around the world.

PetAlive KC-Defense is a 100% natural, safe effective herbal and homeopathic remedy with selected biochemic tissue salts for the treatment and prevention of Kennel cough and other respiratory tract infections in pets. It may be used preventatively (especially before visits to the vet, kennels, cattery etc) or acutely to treat an active infection.

PetAlive KC-Defense comes in convenient dissolvable granule form. The tiny granules are easy to administer to dogs of all sizes and personalities and are simply sprinkled on the back of the tongue and left to dissolve.

When KC-Defense is taken preventatively your pet will be protected from respiratory infections. If an infection should occur, this will be much milder and will resolve far easier. For dogs who have contracted Kennel Cough or any other viral respiratory illness, PetAlive KC-Defense should help to clear symptoms quickly and improvement is usually noted within one or two days. Treatment should be continued for 14 - 21 days after this to prevent a return of the infection.

Other things you can do

Ensure your dog is eating a balanced, high quality diet with plenty of raw and unprocessed food.

Use PetAlive KC-Defense capsules to boost your dog's immune functioning and resistance against disease and infection

Avoid exposure to toxins and chemicals as much as possible including pesticides, herbicides, commercial flea collars, flea powder, insecticides and second-hand cigarette smoke.

If going to boarding kennels causes your pet undue stress, consider investigating other options. Stress can weaken your pet's immune system and make him more susceptible to infection.

Talk to a holistic vet before immunizing your pet. Over-vaccination may stress the immune system unnecessarily.

Regular exercise will help to keep your pet's immune system in tiptop form.

Small doses of ready-made herbal cough mixtures may ease your dog's cough

Edited by huskyheaven

You are so very sweet Huskyheaven, thank you for those links :eek: I was particularly interested in the KC Defence - however i don't think that it is available in Australia.

I've read many herbal remedies that can be good for this type of thing... has anyone actually tried any kind of CC herbal remedy that they could recommend?

I use Active Manuka Honey... but have run out at the moment and waiting on a shipment. Until then I will use regular honey...

The good news (well maybe not 'good' but is a relief) is that the vet has agreed to give Sasha antibiotics without bringing her into the surgery this time. I think I might talk to them about a kind of sedative as well for the next time she needs to visit the vet and also to help with her anxiety getting into the car (not sure if it's motion sickness or just high anxiety that makes her vomit in the car). Just so we can get her used to going to the vet.

HH, interesting you mention exercising them before going to the vet - it's the exact same thing the behaviourist said too. I've had to go to a vet some distance away, because it is the only one with big examination rooms that makes Sasha feel a little bit less frightened, so I couldn't walk her there but he did suggest a good romp before we were to go to burn off the nervous energy.

I think part of her problem may also be me... Because I know how she is when she gets to the vet, I get very anxious too. I work on trying not to get anxious in certain situations and it is working, but we have not worked on going to the vet enough for it to have been successful yet.

My angel at home, turns into a thrashing psycho at the vet (only when he tries to touch her or DO anything - which is kinda the whole point :hug: ).

So I guess thats why I'm so interested in herbal remedies and vitamins to help keep her health in top shape :)

The KC defense does look interesting..... but yeah, its a UK product (I think) ...... maybe we could get some someho :eek:

Understand going to a vet some distance away. I guess my suggestion would be some exercise before getting in the car, to help tone down the excitement (my 2 are nuts in the car) and then if you have someone who can go with you, you can get out a couple of k's before you reach the Clinic and try it that way :hug: Not sure if it would help Kelly_Louise, as Sasha is so Vet nervous, but I guess you dont know till you give it a whirl!

You poor thing. I really feel for you.

I know what your talking about when trying to be confident for her but it is so hard when you know what your in for.

I remember watching an episode of the Dog Whisperer with a dog that was Vet nervous. Sounds similar to your Sasha. It took alot of work but they finally got her on the table and semi calm. There was a lot of force used and very little noise from Cesar. After some visits the dog finally got over its fear and it was such a happy ending.

Will keep having a look for some info for ya love. I'll probably need some of the similar info myself one day :)

Actually that's not a bad suggestion HuskyHeaven... turf both OH and Sasha out a few kilometres before we get there :hug: Seeing that the vet is just about 1km too far for her (car?) sickness, it would actually solve a couple of problems.

I do have many options and things to try to get Sasha over it (including having her behaviourist come with us), and I do believe that over time she can improve greatly... but I'm a bit scared to be honest. Going to the vet with her is like running a massive marathon - by the time it's over I'm mentally and physically exhausted. But for her health it has to be done. At the moment, it's taking both OH and I and a muzzle to physically restrain her, and even then we can manage for not even a minute to hold her still. It's very traumatising for her - and as you can imagine, it's horrifying for me to watch - I feel so bad for her, but I know it has to be done - to see your dog with such terror and feel responsible for it :) I can only pray we have a happy ending one day at the vet.

I am thinking perhaps buying KC Defense for future use (as it would probably arrive too late for this bout of CC). I think things like this are worth a try at least.

KL - I am becoming increasing concerned with how frequently and easily antibiotics are being administered to our dogs. I'm not suggesting you or any of the "everyone else" doesn't have good reason for it, but the more I am reading on DOL as time goes on, the more I see that antibiotics seem to be being prescribed at the drop of a hat.

It is your judgment call of course, but sometimes I think we need to give our dogs a chance to let their systems work through some lesser ailments. Use of homeopathic/natural things to help the dog's system (which is of course what you are trying to seek out) can assist a lot, and that includes good diet, and of course we need to keep a good watch on the symptoms to ensure they are not worsening (which is always a worry to us - which makes me wonder if Vets are sometimes prescribing antibiotics for the dog's sake or for ours).

The Active Manuka Honey (UMF 20+ and higher) is always good. Remembering it is not so much the honey content that's doing the great work, it is the Active component in it.

Sorry that I don't have any specific advice to offer, but I am concerned at the rapid dispensing of antibiotics. I don't wish it to go the other way - where people categorically refuse to give their dogs antibiotics when indeed they need them, but I think we need to find some middle ground and sensibility with them.

Note that I'm making a general comment and not one specifically aimed at you. I can't see your dog and therefore would not be in any position to make a judgment call in that regard and it might prove that there is very good reason for the administration of antibiotics in your case.

ETA: Try using a very weak salt solution in tepid water to wipe Sasha's eyes with.

Edited by Erny

Hi Erny,

I understand what you are saying, I'm not a great fan of giving antibiotics myself - and I thought long and hard before giving them to her and mostly because she seemed to get worse and went off her food. I like to think a young healthy dog can get over these things themselves with their own immune system fighting it. However, I'm actually just a bit concerned about her having it for a second time so closely (she did not have meds last time)... and basically just wanted a good clean out for her so we can start from a clean slate and see how her health is from there - I feel that something is amiss with her, not sure, it's just something I feel in my gut (nothing serious) and her trainer did say she looked as though she has suffered some malnutrition at some point due to the way her muscles have formed and how she is now filling out. It's difficult because of the problems I have with her at the vet, it's hard for them to get near her to check her out and just go from my description of her symptoms.

I put her in the car yesterday (got her in after about 5 minutes of coaxing) to get her used to travelling etc - just want to do a few trips to fun places, or just drive and then come home... the poor bugger was so terrified and all her legs shook so hard she could barely keep herself up. It makes me want to cry for her, honestly breaks my heart - but I know we must persist. I know it will be a long journey, lucky I adore her and am there for the long haul with her.

The vet also gave me some sedatives to calm her in case we need to get her to the vets quickly - which has taken a little bit of worry off me (if they work) as I want her to be able to be treated without too much trauma if she needs treatment.

So I see what you are saying Erny, and am trying to now boost her immune system and overall health all naturally as I really don't like medications. I bought some apple cider vinegar the other day as I also heard that was good - AMH is on it's way (gee it's hard to find - lots of places sold out too) and I'm trying to re-introduce raw into her diet slowly however I don't want to go back to inconsistent poos and upset belly again so we are being very careful and taking baby steps there. Will also look into supplements to promote overall health - just finding one that I feel confident with is the challenge.

Thanks for your advice Erny, as always.

KL - I hear you. And given the judicious concern and vigilent attention you give to your dog I suspected that you would not have administered the antibiotics willy nilly. As I mentioned in my post, I'm more alarmed at how often people/others have been prescribed antibiotics and it makes me wonder if all of the cases written about here on DOL actually warranted it. I'm not a Vet and I'm not those dogs' Vet, so I don't really know. But in some instances (not yours) either the posts have been written without the full explanation or some have been administered antibiotics without some fairly basic tests being done to confirm the problem first. I guess I just took opportunity to use your post to bring attention to the fact that it concerns me.

I really hope Sasha gets over and past her current bout of illness quickly.

AMH is on it's way (gee it's hard to find - lots of places sold out too)

Wonder how much of the "sell out" is to doggy people :cheer:.

Edited by Erny

I use the Vets All Natural Health Booster in your link and think its excellent.

I had a rescue foster that was very pregnant and skinny and I had her on that from day 1 right through till now(16 weeks later). She managed to deliver 7 healthy BIG pups and feed the lot of them and gain weight along the way. Obviously not all because of the Health Booster, I worked hard on her overall nutrition as well but I feel it was a good natural way to ensure extra vits and minerals were on board when she needed them.

I was thinking this? To ensure she is getting what she needs?

http://vetnpetdirect.com.au/product.php?pr...=305&page=3

Thanks mate... unfortunately she's not 100% today - not the canine cough though, that seems to be improving... but runny poos and upset tummy. I had started her very slowly on some chicken necks - but she's back where she was before so I've taken the raw off her again :D I want to feed her a raw diet, but she just seems to get consistent upset tummy and diahorrea. The only thing left for me to try is pet mince - but I don't hold much hope for that.

So we are back to canned and dry food - not happy to be feeding her that, but what else can I do? It's the only thing that doesn't upset her tummy and keeps her poos nice and firm - and it is both Advance canned and dry so it's not a crappy quality or anything.

I think it's more important that she is well and not feeling sick all the time I guess.