Light Scaly Dandruff

One of mine this winter has just a bit of light scaly dandruff. Looks just like dandruff. A vet looked at it and didn't think too much of it (was there about something else). I give her a slight dose of Megaderm and the vet suggested to increase the does to a full dose of Megaderm given her size.

I bath them about once a fortnight with Episoothe or something similar.

Does any one else have any other suggestions?

Edited by chuckie500

Try not bathing her quite so often. Perhaps the cold weather (and maybe coupled with frequent washing) is impacting her skin. Groom her regularly (but no more than is necessary) with a style of brush that will help to loosen and shed the dead skin from her coat.

Just my thoughts - not necessarily professional ones.

Edited by Erny

Sounds like it could be scurf.

I have 2 Show Dobermanns and it drives me nuts.

I feed fish oil daily and add an omega 3 oil blend from greenpet.com.au to their nightly food & that has helped alot.

I have always feed sardines fresh and raw every 2nd day and they still got the scurf on occassions.

I have tried rinsing with water/vinager blend but didnt find it as useful as using an antidandruff shampoo when washing them.

Avoid washing when it is windy as this seems to increase the scurf.

Depending on what kind of dog you have - you can try using a product called Cristalli (hair shine formula containing linseed oils)

available from the Shaver Shop chain of stores or a spray of mink oil and rub it in to skin level with a good massage.

I hope this has been of some help - good luck with the battle ahead :cheer:

I'm seeing it a lot with clients dogs at the moment. Even more so with dogs who wear coats. Just a bit of winter dryness, add some Megaderm and use Aloveen Leave In Conditioner (and their shampoo).

Scaly Dandruff on my boy is Staph.

Does yours look anything like this? Although the photo doesn't show the detail, it looks as through it's actually peeling away like a Snake would shed its' skin.

My boy is always on Omega oils and that doesn't do anything for this condition, the only thing that cleared it up was a 30 day course of Anti-biotics, 2 week course and it comes back.

Not saying this is what your dog has but dandruff isn't always just dandruff perse' :cry:

post-4036-1249301272_thumb.jpg

Edited by sas

I was at Pet barn and Petstock today.

Has any one tried these shampoos:

1. One is VETBASIX COAL TAR SHAMPOO. I notice coal tar is sometimes used fro two legged people for dandruff. But this shampoo sounds quite aggressive.

2. The other is an american brand with selenium sulphide I think. But I can't remember the name (stipid me!)

Thanks

You know what I washed her on Sunday with Episoothe and used the conditioner too and it seems MUCH better. She has dryish skin and it seems to me the shampoo and conditioner really does add moisture to her coat. Avoleen would be equivalent I guess. I'm happy and so is she.