Starting Obedience

I'm thinking about starting obedience with my two dogs. I have been a trainer at a pet dog training club for a few years now and have two well behaved doggy citizens that can do medium to advanced behaviours. The only thing is I haven't had any experience with formal obedience before and so whilst I'm sure they can do most of the behaviours they are lacking the precision required. For myself I need some info on what behaviours are required for each title etc.

Both my dogs are purely clicker trained and there aren't any obedience clubs that I know of in my area that use the clicker method so i don't really want to join a club at this stage. So can anyone give me any advice or recommend any good books, DVD's on obedience training using positives?

Thanks in advance.

Clicker training is fantastic for one-on-one work. When you get into a class environment it can be confusing for other clicker trained dogs. So for this reason club's do not use the clicker in class.

My dogs get some clicker training at home but we attend a dog club for awhole other pile of purposes.

Where are you from?

I am from Adelaide. I understand that the club environment would be fantastic for proofing and distraction but before I get to that stage I just want to get the behaviours more precise and and reliable before moving onto that stage.

I'll have a look for Morgan Spectors book.

Thanks.

For myself I need some info on what behaviours are required for each title etc.

This lets you know what exercises are in each class:

http://users.lavalink.com.au/theos/obedience.htm

And these are the rules for ANKC Obedience trials which will be handy to read up on:

http://www.ankc.org.au/_inc/doc_download.aspx?did=201

So can anyone give me any advice or recommend any good books, DVD's on obedience training using positives?

My favourite DVD's so far are Patty Ruzzo's and Chris Bach (http://www.trainthethirdway.com), but that is a personal choice and I'm sure different people have found favourites in other ones :rofl: Both of these women train with positive methods.

Edited by RubyStar

Also worth while paying a visit to a trial and observing and then asking questions of people at the trial when appropriate.

And if you can find a training buddy that is always useful too :rofl: .

Edited by ness

Also worth while paying a visit to a trial and observing and then asking questions of people at the trial when appropriate.

And if you can find a training buddy that is always useful too :rofl: .

Just be aware that there are a lot of nerves happening at a trial. It may be difficult to identify an appropriate time to ask questions. Take me for example I am more than happy to talk to someone about competition but I don't like being overly chatty when I'm nervous about being judged.

Well a bit of common sense prevails and I am sure milzi09 could pick the appropriate time. Its pretty easily to see when people are relaxed and open to questions or not. Towards the end of a trial when some of the rings are starting to wind up or when stays have been completed and people are sitting around waiting around for presentation i.e. lunch time is always a good time. I am always happy to answer questions as long as its not the 3 second before I go in the ring or until my dog is back in her crate after we have finished.

Have you joined the Oz Obedience Trialling group because you might get some great tips there -http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/OzObedienceTrialling/ - it is a reward based training list for obedience trials and there is bound to be some Adelaide people on there too

Edited by helen

As I have mentioned in other posts regarding dvd's on training, the Canine Training Systems productions are by far the best produced and most science based media I have seen to date. Many of the presenters and titles have won acclaim and awards, and they are absolute standouts in the opinion of many many professional trainers. The Aussie distributors are Forell Dog Products, and they can be reached on 0422 636 489. Hope this helps.