Tooth Care

Ginny went for a scale and clean today because her teeth were pretty yellow. The vet cleaned them but said they may only last 2-3 years more. Ginny is a 3 year old greyhound. She eats lots of bones (chicken frames, chicken wings, ribs, lamb necks etc) but I was wondering what else we could do to help her keep her teeth healthy as long as possible!

Thanks

It sounds like there's something going on - she shouldn't have yellow teeth at her age with that diet! Did you ask the vet what he/she thinks is causing it?

You could get a doggy toothbrush and toothpaste... giving her teeth a gentle scrub once a day to wash away plaque and prevent the brown stuff from accumulating. But if there's something else going on that's ALL it will do - it won't necessarily prolong the life of her teef.

No advice for you sorry, just commeserations. Five year old Missy the greyhound just had most of her remaining teeth out last week. Sh'e now just for the four canines left. We've had her three years and her teeth were just rancid when she moved in. We've spent years having them cleaned and pulled, giving her chicken frames and necks, other bones, Hills SD dental biscuits.... Her gingivitis just wouldn't go away and the teeth kept rotting, and no way was she going to tolerate tooth brushing....

So now she's pretty much toothless. Good news is though, without her sore gums, she's a much happier girl!

No advice for you sorry, just commeserations. Five year old Missy the greyhound just had most of her remaining teeth out last week. Sh'e now just for the four canines left. We've had her three years and her teeth were just rancid when she moved in. We've spent years having them cleaned and pulled, giving her chicken frames and necks, other bones, Hills SD dental biscuits.... Her gingivitis just wouldn't go away and the teeth kept rotting, and no way was she going to tolerate tooth brushing....

So now she's pretty much toothless. Good news is though, without her sore gums, she's a much happier girl!

I tried many things for one of my greyhounds and in the end had all his teeth pulled out. He was much happier without them. He too had serve gingivitis, several dentals and tooth extractions, several bouts of anitbiotics, many different food stuffs to eat etc

I tried many things for one of my greyhounds and in the end had all his teeth pulled out. He was much happier without them. He too had serve gingivitis, several dentals and tooth extractions, several bouts of anitbiotics, many different food stuffs to eat etc

...and in the end, having a toofless gummy smile is not the end of the world, for people or dogs, especially if it's going to prevent recurrent infections :o

Ruby had bugger-all teef and she had the sweetest face :laugh:

We'll just keep an eye on her. She loves her bones so we'll try our best to look after her teeth but we won't let her be in pain if they start to bother her. Poor Ginny!

Zorro has beautiful shiny white teeth - lucky boy!

A lot of greys have teeth problems, maybe b/c of the diet they are fed in the racing kennels. Having said that, any dog can have bad teeth, particularly those who won't eat bones, or whose teeth don't align properly. My mini daccie had really bad teeth.

Bianca eats plenty of bones, but only on one side of her mouth, so one side was good, the other horrible. Now we brush!

Is gingivitis and tooth problems an issue with greys generally?

I don't think so. Many greys when they go to pet homes do have terrible teeth/gums but a diet that includes bones usually does clean them up. The odd one doesn't and that's when the fun begins!

Sam's Teef

half way down the page

Edited by Rebanne