Right Diet?

Oscar (AmBull)

I am new to the breed and we have finally settled (the last month or so) on a diet regime. He is now 5 months old and actually loves what he is getting.

Breakfast is always approximately a cup of Royal Canin Maxi Puppy.

Lunch is normally some sort of raw meaty bone, we rotate frozen roo tail, frozen chiccken carcass' and either chicken legs or wings sometimes one of each.

Dinner is either raw chicken or roo mice. We have also just bought a bag of roo chunks to try.

I am wanting to know is the diet we are feeding is nutritious enough or are we lacking something important? We also put in a raw egg no shell to his mince probably once a week. I think we need to add some sort of fish, are cans of tune, sardines etc ok?

Thanks

Dinner is either raw chicken or roo mice. We have also just bought a bag of roo chunks to try.

I am wanting to know is the diet we are feeding is nutritious enough or are we lacking something important? We also put in a raw egg no shell to his mince probably once a week. I think we need to add some sort of fish, are cans of tune, sardines etc ok?

Canned fish is fine.

I would include the eggshell in his mince and give him 2 or 3 a week no problems.

Does your chicken mince include bone?

Give him offal too - liver and kidney - species unimportant.

A whole sheep's heart is a decent sort of snack too (this is a muscle meat though, not offal)

I'd feed him chicken carcasses or maryland and chunks of roo meat in preference to mince if this was possible.

Is there a reason you're avoiding beef & lamb?

Does your chicken mince include bone?

Yes the mince includes bone.

Give him offal too - liver and kidney - species unimportant.

A whole sheep's heart is a decent sort of snack too (this is a muscle meat though, not offal)

We find it hard to source offal where we live but I will look more closely into that. How many times a week would you suggest this?

No real reason, other than that I have been told that Amstaffs can be sensitive to beef and lamb just isn't really available to us.

Thanks so much for the great response.

We find it hard to source offal where we live but I will look more closely into that. How many times a week would you suggest this?

Most supermarkets sell offal, if not a butcher's should. Personally I wouldn't be feeding anything less than human-grade offal to any dog. 10% of the meat can be offal I think it is, how often is less important than how much. Start small though, it's very rich and some dogs just won't eat it.

No real reason, other than that I have been told that Amstaffs can be sensitive to beef and lamb just isn't really available to us.

Yes, Staffords can have the same problem with beef (I got one of those LOL). Have you ever tried him on beef? I'd be inclined to try because IMO allergies tend to pop up when the dog hasn't been exposed to something young (there are other reasons too obviously).

Maybe just add a handful of ordinary beef mince or chunks (cheap supermarket stuff is fine for an experiment) to the usual food and see what happens. You usually get a skin reaction with beef, itchy feet, hotspots, something like that.