What Food Do You Use? And A Couple More Questions

bax09

Hi there, I have a 12 week old beagle and would love your oprnions on a few things.....I am following breeders reccommendations which I am really happy with but just curious what others do?!

Q1-What dry food do you use...I am currently using pro plan (puppy formula)

Q2-What other food do you use as well (if any)....I am giving pro peak roll, some chicken necks. (cut up and put in a kong) and also some yoghurt and sardines. Not all on the same day but as added extras.

Q3-What flea and tick treatments do you like...I am using fidos flea and tick rinse.

Q4-What toys are favourites in your house...we like the kong, empty yoghurt containers to lick the remaining yoghurt from, a small soft toy rattle (cheekily stolen from our 1 year old bub within 5 minutes of BAXTA arriving at his new home) and a stuffed toy that came home from the breeders.

Q5-What games does your dog/puppy love...Baxta loves playing with my son in his cubby house, doing crazy zoomies and fetching his toy rattle as well as......Ripping out the Bromeliads in my garden :eek:

Q6-if you had to give one peice of advice to dog owners, what would it be???

Would love your input....

OH! One more thing! Have added a link for you all to see pics.

http://s672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/cfa31/

1. Nutro Lamb and Rice

2. Raw meat, chicken wings/carcasses, canned mackerel, cooked liver, raw eggs, yoghurt, brisket bones, leftovers.

3. Advantage if I have a problem with fleas which is rare, I haven't had fleas for a long time. We don't have ticks here.

4. Kong Wubba, Cuz Ball

5. Ball games mostly, fetch or football

6. Research, research before you get your puppy and make sure you get a breed that is going to fit into your lifestyle. Don't allow a puppy to get away with behaviours that you wouldn't want in an adult dog. Train your dog and make sure that it gets an appropriate amount of exercise and mental stimulation for its breed. Sorry that's three things.

Edited by Miranda

Hi there, I have a 12 week old beagle and would love your oprnions on a few things.....I am following breeders reccommendations which I am really happy with but just curious what others do?!

None.

Q2-What other food do you use as well (if any)....I am giving pro peak roll, some chicken necks. (cut up and put in a kong) and also some yoghurt and sardines. Not all on the same day but as added extras.

I feed the canine country barf rolls and only the white meat varieties in the mornings and chicken wings/necks and turkey necks in the evening, depending on what's in the freezer. I mix is sardines in oil once a week as well.

Q3-What flea and tick treatments do you like...I am using fidos flea and tick rinse.

My girls are on monthly Sentinel Spectrum and I vary rarely use flea control as the tablets have some control over fleas. If I see large fleas I will put advantage on. I've used advantix twice and both times they've both had the same reaction to it. Not going for a third time.

Q4-What toys are favourites in your house...we like the kong, empty yoghurt containers to lick the remaining yoghurt from, a small soft toy rattle (cheekily stolen from our 1 year old bub within 5 minutes of BAXTA arriving at his new home) and a stuffed toy that came home from the breeders.

Icebreak bottles. My girls aren't big with toys. My husband is addicted to icebreak and one of my girls loves pulling the lids off and soccering around the bottle for about 2 minutes, then forgets about them. I only let her have bottles that my husband has just finished so the contents isn't old and stinky.

Q5-What games does your dog/puppy love...Baxta loves playing with my son in his cubby house, doing crazy zoomies and fetching his toy rattle as well as......Ripping out the Bromeliads in my garden :eek:

My girls love sleeping on the lounge, getting pats and barking at any dogs that walk past their house.

... Give barf a go! The change in my girls is amazing.

Would love to see you at the beagle club's Lurecoursing event on the 30th August!

Edited by ~Erin~

I also feed a raw diet, but if I had to feed dried I would first look at Artemis grain free or Eagle Pack Holistic.

I feed a variety of food, from raw meaty bones to muscle meat (i.e. heart) to offal to raw pureed vegies/fruit and sardines, yoghurt etc.

For treats I always use something soft and smelly, like cooked sausage, steak, left over roast meat, boiled or roast chicken etc. I don't feed any processed treats and the only dried treats I feed are 100% dried natural meat/offal.

I use Advocate at the moment.

My dogs number one favourite are the cuz balls, they also like orbee balls and anything that squeaks/bounces. They also love this platypus soft toy I got that has little squeaky "egg" balls inside. Oh - and empty plastic bottles!

Any game I play is generally training related. The dogs like playing tug, chasing their toys, learning tricks and doing obedience training :laugh:

Well, especially with beagle owners, training training training! Start from day one and make sure you are consistent with your rules and boundaries :rofl:

Love the pics!!

Thanks for the reply. I tried Baxta on Eagle pack as this is one of the ones recommended but, he didn't like it?

Sounds like BARF diet is popular. And, I wondered about other raw meats like heart. Is liver ok?

Thanks for the reply. I tried Baxta on Eagle pack as this is one of the ones recommended but, he didn't like it?

Sounds like BARF diet is popular. And, I wondered about other raw meats like heart. Is liver ok?

Raw liver is essential if you feed a raw diet (offal will be one of the ingredients in any of the bought BARF mixes you can get like canine country or Dr B's). It's really good for them and has a lot of nutritional value.

Heart is really good for them too :)

It's ok to feed kibble if that's your preference, but my dogs have thrived on raw so I will always feed it now.

Edited by huski

Welcome to DOL and to getting your beagle :(

In answer to your questions, see below, but could have gone on for much longer answering them.

1. Pro Plan and Royal Canine

2. Chicken necks, Chicken Carcasses, Beef Bones, Lamb Offcuts, Lamb Shanks, whatever is going cheap at the supermarket. Eggs, yoghurt, sardines all factor now and again

3. Canex and Revolution

4. Busy Buddy toys, Tennis Balls, Kongs and a few other throw toys

5. Fetch, agility and any training with food. They play fight with each other and do lots of zoomies

6. Make sure you always spend at least 30 minutes a day just with your dog, on top of everything else, for walks, playing, grooming etc. If you don't have the time, don't get a dog.

1. I was feeding Jet on advanced puppy but recently switched to Purina Pro Plan Puppy this week

2. I like to feed Jet chicken necks for breakfast or for treats, I also sometimes mix pet mince. Pig Ears & Feet are good to keep him entertained as well.

3. I use sentinel tablets monthly. and also use a shampoo with flea treatment in it.

4. Jet has a stuffed toy which he loves to play with. He loves playing with tennis balls and big bouncy balls. He also has some rubber toys.

5. Playing Fetch. If I could last for hours no doubt he could too!

6. Jet is only still young but if i had advice for a new puppy owner, I would tell them to definately crate train! Jet loves his crate and he sleeps in it. It is the best!

ETA: I only just took a look at your pictures, he is adorable. I want a puppy beagle now. lol

Edited by jettyjet

Hi,

I have two pups - one 8 weeks and one 11 months..

Q1-What dry food do you use... Hill Science Diet - Puppy Bites (baby)

Q2-What other food do you use as well... chicken necks, mince, eggs

Q3-What flea and tick treatments do you like...I am using Advocate for all fleas/worms etc.

Q4-What toys are favourites in your house... Kong and ball with a bell in it.

Q5-What games does your dog/puppy love...biting peoples pant legs, hiding in the island bench & Bichon Blitz

Q6-if you had to give one peice of advice to dog owners, what would be... patience and persistance

Hi,

I have two pups - one 8 weeks and one 11 months..

Q1-What dry food do you use... Hill Science Diet - Puppy Bites (baby)

Q2-What other food do you use as well... chicken necks, mince, eggs

Q3-What flea and tick treatments do you like...I am using Advocate for all fleas/worms etc.

Q4-What toys are favourites in your house... Kong and ball with a bell in it.

Q5-What games does your dog/puppy love...biting peoples pant legs, hiding in the island bench & Bichon Blitz

Q6-if you had to give one peice of advice to dog owners, what would be... patience and persistance