Dandruff

bret

HI all

i have just noticed maiya (3yr old border) to have flaky skin, it isn't a massive problem, but it is noticeable, something i haven't seen before.

her average diet daily which is in packs frozen, is a chicken wing/neck, combo of lambs heart and beef liver, small amount of rice, and a coles mixed vegetables. recently i have noticed little white squares in the mixed veggies, and was wondering if anyone knw if they were potatoe parts? if so, damn... i have to change brands. the other packet of mixed veggies though is cauliflower and broccoli.

anyway, i looked up and it said she could be missing some essential fatty acids. would the suggestion be to add an egg or some flaxseed oil to her meals? I wil bath her this week, she doesn't get bathed much, as we swim a bit especially in summer in the ocean and the local park lake.

or should i buy her some sardines and throw them in her bowel every 2 or 3 days.

any advice is great

bret

I posted about this too a week or two ago.

Here's what I suggest & tried:

1. I use Megaderm (a omega 3 & 6 suppliment). I think it helps a bit and can't hurt.

2. I shampooed in Epithsoothe and conditoner and that seemed to add some moisture back into her coat and skin. Some success, but not 100%.

3. I think also tried, as someone suggested Rufus and Coco Itch Relief shampoo (http://shop.rufusandcoco.com.au/p-7-itch-relief.aspx) which has selenium sulphide, used in human shampoos for dandruff). This has been quite good for it in my opinion.

4. I have dry skin and my doctor years ago suggested Alpha Keri oil for me. Bath oe shower with it instead of soap. Never used it on a dog before.

Fox had bad dandruff till I started giving him a whole egg every 2 or 3 days and within a few weeks he was virtually dandruff free. I did consider Fish Oil, but since the eggs are free (from my own chooks) I decided to try them first and they worked.

I think we wash our dogs too much and too quickly jump to even more washes when we see skin complaints. Not suggesting none of them are justified, but I think in some and perhaps even many incidents we should avoid upsetting PH balances in the skin.

I agree with the angle of looking as to why the skin is flaky (eg diet) rather than to addressing the outside symptom itself.

Sometimes it can just be the affect of the cold/winter that can cause flaky skin/dandruff and quite often rights itself. A regular brush helps to remove the dead skin and reduce the itch.

Just my (unqualified) opinion :laugh:.

Edited by Erny