Stretching...what's Your Take On It?

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

I'm talking about the front down, bum up "yoga stretching" sometimes followed by stretching out each back leg in turn, not immediately after getting up, but in greeting.

Other trainers I speak to & things I have read all seem to put a slightly different slant on it....what's your interpretation?

I love the greeting bow! It's lovely to see from a dog and I take it as a sign of respect and love! I usually get lots from my dog first thing in the morning when she gets out of her crate, we have greeting bows and then our special hugs. Occasionally I've even had one from other dogs I've just done a training session with!

Guest Willow
All our Labs do this but one of our girls does it more than the others. I dont see it as an issue, after all dont we all stretch when we stand up.

Don't get me wrong mercedes, I don't think it's an issue either....I just have heard different perspectives on what it means :)

I love the greeting bow! It's lovely to see from a dog and I take it as a sign of respect and love! I usually get lots from my dog first thing in the morning when she gets out of her crate, we have greeting bows and then our special hugs. Occasionally I've even had one from other dogs I've just done a training session with!

When my dogs do it, I interpret it as that, but i have had dogs I work with do it too....I had one dog that actually doesn't like me do it, which surprised me!!!! :eek:

This dog has NEVER warmed to me, despite my best efforts....maybe she doesn't hate me as much as I had assumed!!! :thanks:

Guest Willow
What everyone else said. What other interpretations have you heard Willow- just curious :thanks:

Somebody suggested it might be more of a "diffusion" technique than a gesture of affection....personally I like the affection/joy/just happy explanation myself.....gotta have something to give you warm fuzzies, right??? :eek:

Guest Willow
How interesting. Never thought of it that way before. :thanks: Will pay close attention the next time Cosmo does it. Would vary from dog to dog i'd think.

Yeah I guess, or maybe the "diffusion stretch" (if such a thing exists) comes with other signals too (yawning, or preceeded by shake-off maybe??) like an "ok, you worried me there for a minute...lets' make freinds now"???

Or maybe it's just what it is, and I should stop thinking about it before my pea-brain explodes.

I've been doing training in the pouring rain & I think my brain may have short-circuited today!!! :eek: