Yucky Eating Poo Problem

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me on this yucky subject. Well my new pup (6mth old SBT) has a habit of eating poo.... :) I had a had idea she did this but never saw it first hand. Now l got her when she was 4mths from a breeder where she had been kept in runs with other dogs. So l think she got this habit from there :)

But l've noticed she nevers eats her own, she eats my other SBTs poop. My other SBT doesn't do this. When l'm at home l pick up there poop everyday and sometimes more than twice a day. Pretty much as soon as l see it l pick it up. Also l just got back from a weekend away with the 4 legged kids and she also had a munch on wombat, deer and duck poo.... :)

Food wise, she gets fed very well and only top quality food. So l'm doubtful its cause she is lacking anything in her diet. I'm hoping someone might have some ideas or suggestions?

Edited by LittleRock

It could be your other dog isn't digesting her food properly so it still is appealing when it comes out the other end. What do you feed? She could be missing digestive enzymes or the food could be to rich or full of grains.

Could also be a habit.

Some people say that feeding pineapple deters poo munching. Others say that feeding charcoal tablets or buiscuits also acts as a deterent.

Dogs do this for so many reasons even the scientists can't tell you why exactly, so whatever anyone says is just theory.

On a behaviour point of view though is that it is a dog behaviour so you need to remove yourself from thinking it's so disgusting, in the greater scheme of things it's a doggy thing, some dogs do it, some don't.

Give it any form of attention and you could be helping the dog cement this behaviour.

Try ignoring it....shit happens as they say.

Edited by sas

Your doing the right thing by picking up any poo you see immediately! The other thing you can do is supervise her when you're on a walk and she's scavenging for poo. There is some suggestion I've read that dogs are supplementing their diet by sampling other creatures poo ie adding vitamins or roughage. Keep your worming up to date when she's eating the other animals poo too. I've also read the addition of a food additive (monosodium glutamate) to the other dog's food can stop it being so apetitive. If it's really bad you may need to fit a muzzle.

Some dogs just do it. In them, it's like a fingernail biting habit in humans. There are many schools of thought. You could try sprinkling Paprika or Black Pepper on a few nice fresh ones to see what will happen if she tries to eat them. You could try the pineapple (canned chopped pineapple is better apparently) in the food. Or you could just get to the droppings first and pick them up before she has a chance to.

Above all else......AVOID KISSES!!!!!! :)

Some Behaviourists believe that picking it up straight away (giving it so much attention) can help cement the 'problem'.

Really? Gee its a bit hard not to pick up when its in the traffif path. Although when l pick it up l'm normally playing with them throwing balls etc.

Some dogs just do it. In them, it's like a fingernail biting habit in humans. There are many schools of thought. You could try sprinkling Paprika or Black Pepper on a few nice fresh ones to see what will happen if she tries to eat them. You could try the pineapple (canned chopped pineapple is better apparently) in the food. Or you could just get to the droppings first and pick them up before she has a chance to.

Above all else......AVOID KISSES!!!!!! :)

I agree with the final comment..... no kisses until l know its under control. :banghead:

Im going to try the pineapple juice tonight, fingers crossed. As l know shit happens, but thats just nasty ;)