Prostate Problems: Castration Or Suprelorin?

wil075

Hi, I have an extremely healthy 9.5 year old Rottweiler who has an enlarged prostate.

For about 6 months now, he has been having a short term chemical castration injection (Tardak) to reduce the testosterone production and thus reduce the size of his prostate. Unfortunately this only lasts a month or so and he becomes quite sedated for a couple of weeks after the injection.

We are looking at the other options available for him and hopefully something longer acting with few side effects. According to our dog's vet (for all his life), the only other options are the Suprelorin implant and surgical castration.

While I am not adverse to surgical castration, I am wondering if it would be absolutely necessary. Our vet recommends castration, as his reports of using Suprelorin in dogs, is that they put on 20% more body weight and become very sluggish - So much so, that in one instance hormones were administered to counteract the behavioural effects. He also reports that surgical castration will have little change to a dog's behaviour and weight.

As my dog is an older dog and may not be able to undergo surgery in the future (especially if his health is caused to deteriorate), I think that the surgical castration may be the best alternative. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the use of Suprelorin and the side effects?

Thankyou

Yep, immediate castration would be my first port of call. Given your dogs age, I'd be doing it now as his anaesthetic risks increase with age.

I'd also be doing pre-anaesthetic blood work to ensure he is in good shape for a GA.

fifi

ETA; we also had our boy castrated when his prostate became enlarged, He had other health issues developing, but his urinary relief was almost immediate from the surgery.

Edited by fifi

We lost our rottie about 2 years ago with a similar problem.

Unfortunately for us surgery was not an option otherwise he would have had the op immediately rather then the injections.

When our almost 8 year old GSD showed similar issues in Nov 08 he went under and had the op.