Re-training From Adt Method

I hesitate to post because I don't want to re-start a discussion about ADT but I need some advice.

I have joined an Obedience Club and Cindy has worked out the "Stay" command well. In my ignorance I thought -"this will be easy" and I moved onto the automatic sit instead of the stand. The thought of this as an easy task has disappeared!

So how can I re-train to the automatic sit.

Please use the KISS method in your replies (Keep It Short 'n Simple) as this owner is a novice!

Thanks heaps

Sue and Cindy

For auto sit I would ask for a sit every time you halt in a heeling pattern - they soon catch on :wave: This is where anticipation of the next command actually helps you :thumbsup: After a while test the auto sit by halting and not asking for a sit and see if they sit on their own without the command.

OK thanks-should I treat when she sits in a heeling pattern? Correct her is she does not do the auto sit?

For auto sit I would ask for a sit every time you halt in a heeling pattern - they soon catch on :wave: This is where anticipation of the next command actually helps you :thumbsup: After a while test the auto sit by halting and not asking for a sit and see if they sit on their own without the command.

I wouldn't be correcting a dog if it isn't 10% sure of what you expect. Remember you are training a new exercise and it would be unfair to the dog to get a correction for something he/she doesn't quite know yet.

Yes, mark/reward each time she sits at heel in the initial stage of the teaching.

Edited by Kelpie-i

Are you going to a club that uses treats for rewarding/luring? If so, you could lure her into sits when you halt without a sit command. After you have done this for a while stop offerering the treats every couple and hopefully she will offer you a sit which you can praise physically. Then you can wean the treats away altogether.

I was going to say what Paulp said. Luring is always a nice way, especially if you have a food orientated pooch.

I would also encourage a sit before release for dinner. Just so your dog gets to know the meaning of the word also.

Thanks everyone. I tried these ideas today (until it rained) and she is getting it. Looking for a traet on the last sit. She is great with her obedience as we had passed out of the highest level so the command "sit" is not a problem. She just wants to stand as that is what she learnt. I think we will get there.

Sue & Cindy

A big thank you for your help. Just back from toady's class and it was great with about 80% of her halts automatic sits. Trouble was she looked at me as if I was crazy when I asked her to stand at one of the halts. "As if mum...I want a treat!" LOL

Thanks again

Sue & Cindy