Bull Ant (or Bulldog) Bites

Munchin

Curious to find out other dogs reactions to bull ant bites (could have been a jump jack too, they are smaller with orange bity bits).

Its just that I came home late from training last week and found him out of his yard (under the fence he did squeeze, 18kg of him) and his face looked strange. Closer look he looked more like a sharpei (sp?) type face, from a whippet type face. Obvious signs of swelling. A mad rush to the vets (20min away), worried that he would not be able to breathe for much longer get there and he has two injections, cortisone and antihistamine. The swelling, in front of both our eyes is still going, was now creeping down his head towards his neck, golf ball on one side of cheek. Vet had checked airways and they were not involved (thank ....!!), an intravenous injection of cortisone, stopped the swelling. 24hrs later he was back to normal, as though nothing had happened at all.

But my question is, was it a bull ant/jumpjack bite , ( I have nests outside of yard, trying to destroy) or something else like wasp or spider. Would like to hear of others situations to try and work it out, though will probably never know for sure.

Does sound like bullants or even the jumping jacks - I have had dogs bitten by bull ants but not around the face - more on legs....

Have also had a horse that developed lots of large lumps over various parts of his body that the vet felt were bullants or jumping jacks he had a bit of a reaction to them and any of the bites near his lymph glands ended up turning into sores while others disappeared.

With the dog we hosed the affected area as the cold water helps to reduce the heat.... this seemed to help and did seem to reduce the swelling...

Perhaps the dog found an old bone to chew and the bullants were there.....

Cold water is a good short term help including giving the dog some ice to chew, even icecream might have helped to reduce swelling in the throat.

Curious to find out other dogs reactions to bull ant bites (could have been a jump jack too, they are smaller with orange bity bits).

Its just that I came home late from training last week and found him out of his yard (under the fence he did squeeze, 18kg of him) and his face looked strange. Closer look he looked more like a sharpei (sp?) type face, from a whippet type face. Obvious signs of swelling. A mad rush to the vets (20min away), worried that he would not be able to breathe for much longer get there and he has two injections, cortisone and antihistamine. The swelling, in front of both our eyes is still going, was now creeping down his head towards his neck, golf ball on one side of cheek. Vet had checked airways and they were not involved (thank ....!!), an intravenous injection of cortisone, stopped the swelling. 24hrs later he was back to normal, as though nothing had happened at all.

But my question is, was it a bull ant/jumpjack bite , ( I have nests outside of yard, trying to destroy) or something else like wasp or spider. Would like to hear of others situations to try and work it out, though will probably never know for sure.

My ridgeback Holly had similar symptoms to this earlier this year, the vet thinks she was bitten by a bee or a wasp. Hope he is better soon. :laugh:

Thanks for the responses. Does sound like it was an ant but it may have been a wasp. Seeing the vet for the anual check up so will go over it with her and see what she thinks.

Was in a panic and didnt think about cold water, though being on tank water, it wouldnt have been cold, but well worth remembering for future. I dont think I would have been able to get him to lick or drink anything as he couldnt open his mouth.

He is all better now and cant get out of the dog yard into the paddock, I fix that one.

Thanks for you help