Problem With Alaskan Malamute Pup

83ARZ

Hi all,

We are hoping that someone might have some bright idea for us that we haven't tried yet.

Well we have a 12 week old male Alaskan Malamute pup and the problem we having with him is with his winging / howling of a morning. Now we have 2 other dogs so we have been through having a puppy and know what a puppy is like to look after but this isn't normal. We get up around 5am every morning to get ready to come to work. The pup is getting up around 4:30am - 5am and not just winging but winging and howling so loud that it then gets out 11 month old Huksy started and then it just sounds crazy. And the mix of the howling and winging just sounds like he is in some serious pain. But this is the only time that he will do it is in the morning. And as we live in a residential area im sure that our neighbours are loving us. To me its like he is getting way to over excited. At the same time he is making this noise his tail is going crazy so im sure that its excitement but there has to be a way to do it quiet.

Has anyone got any suggestions that might help this? I will list the things that we have already tried -

*** Tried to make a loud noise like NO when he does it and then when stops give him treats but he stops for a second, gets the treat and then starts again and doesnt stop doing this for a good 10-15mins.

*** Tried to ignore him but being 4:30am - 5am in the morning thats not really possible or fare on our neighbours....and the more we ignore the louder he gets.

*** Tried a bark collar - The collar goes off and we can hear the loud beeping noise but this also doesnt stop him.

#1 where did you get him from? Have you contacted his breeder for advice?

#2 where does he sleep?

Got him from breeder - And yeah we contacted them and they are the ones that provided us with the bark collar. This hasn't worked. It goes off but this doesnt seem to effect him.

And he sleeps outside with our other dogs. We have a 10m / 5m covered decking out the back of the house...they sleep there. And he is a good sleeper as we normally go to bed around 9pm and he sleeps all the way through from then until around 4:30am. This is about when he starts. And does it no other time through the day just morning when he 1st wakes up.

I think the pup is anticipating you getting up and perhaps going out to him. Ignore, ignore, ignore and let the neighbours know you are working on it, it wil get worse before it gets better but it will get better. He is 12 weeks old- a baby, and i would not be using a bark collar of any kind.

Maybe you could try a crate or a pen? Our pup only took a couple of nights to figure out that once he goes in the crate, he stays there all night unless he needs to toilet. He wakes up when our alarm goes off, and even sleeps in on a weekend. Our pup also has a pen, and when he's running around like a maniac and we've had enough, he gets popped in the pen with something like a pig's ear or piece of dried beef tendon to chew on and he settles right down. Usually goes to sleep when he's had enough chewing. Chewing is a great way to occupy an active puppy.

I think the pup is anticipating you getting up and perhaps going out to him. Ignore, ignore, ignore and let the neighbours know you are working on it, it wil get worse before it gets better but it will get better. He is 12 weeks old- a baby, and i would not be using a bark collar of any kind.

I assume that you have heard a mal or husky howl before? Its way louder then any bark I have heard and when mixed with a cry and almost ear piercing. The neighbours wouldnt be happy with this at 4:30am even with warning about it.

And the bark collar is only one that makes a high pitch noise when being loud. I dont see this as hurting the pup?

Yes, i have a friend with 8 Mals and another with 4 huskys. If you can't ignore, crate train, bring the pup in and gradually work to get the pup back outside once the howling has subsided. Pup has larnd that howling gets your attention- good or bad. Separating them means your others are less likely to join in so by doing this you'd reduce the noise by half to start with.

I wouldn't use a bark collar on a 12 week old because i think you're better off finding a way to teach the pup that howling won't get them what they want. Even if the collar was effective, likely that he would become collar smart and you would be using a collar forever or that the pup would desensitise and you would need to use something else anyway.

Yes, i have a friend with 8 Mals and another with 4 huskys. If you can't ignore, crate train, bring the pup in and gradually work to get the pup back outside once the howling has subsided. Pup has larnd that howling gets your attention- good or bad. Separating them means your others are less likely to join in so by doing this you'd reduce the noise by half to start with.

I wouldn't use a bark collar on a 12 week old because i think you're better off finding a way to teach the pup that howling won't get them what they want. Even if the collar was effective, likely that he would become collar smart and you would be using a collar forever or that the pup would desensitise and you would need to use something else anyway.

excellent :) good management and training. Mals talk..a lot more than sibes.