Chi X Fainting

Mym

Hi, we have a rehomed Chi-Foxie X who is approximately 12. She has had two lots of surgery in the last six weeks.

1. Rotten teeth removed, and
  2. Skin cancers removed (14 stitches) off her tummy.

She came through both bouts very solidly and is a tough little dog at only 4kg. However, last weekend she got out of the air conditioned car into the heat, and about five minutes later she fainted. I only saw it out of the corner of my eye and she bounced back very quickly and we kept her cool and calm and she was fine.

Then today, she did it again while out with my husband and he took her straight to the vet, all her heart sounds were normal and she was appearing to be in great health. Vet feels it isn't heart.

She looks to be in great health and is very happy and active in between these bouts.

Next step is bloodwork to be done on Monday. :laugh:

Any ideas?

Edited by Mym

We did think it was her airway collapsing to begin with, still not ruling that out as she occasionally has the odd cough (just a single cough) that the vet felt was a collapsing trachea.

Hypoglycemia is an interesting one, but she bounces back without eating - would that still indicate it? I think the major contributor is heat. (this from a dog that likes to find any patch of sun and sit in it!)

She is a little rascal, she just jumped twice her height onto the lounge!

Thanks everyone :rofl: