Spaying

kelpiekaye

I have a 5 month Kelpie Bitch. I do not wish to breed from her, how ever she is turning out to be a great worker on the farm. When is the best age to spay? Will it effect her working ability? My last Kelpie was spayed before her first heat and was a fairly laid back girl but I dont know if that was because she was spayed so young. Any advice would be great. Cheers Kaye

All dogs are different - not sure about Kelpies, maybe give the local vet a call they can tell you over the phone when the best time is.

I don't think spaying has anything to do with temperament (although there are those that do think it changes them). I believe a dog is a product of how it is raised and trained...

All dogs are different - not sure about Kelpies, maybe give the local vet a call they can tell you over the phone when the best time is.

I don't think spaying has anything to do with temperament (although there are those that do think it changes them). I believe a dog is a product of how it is raised and trained...

Thanks. I think the same but dont want to ruin this girl cause she it great.

I have kelpies, and i really think it comes down to if you have any male dogs that are still in tack. If you know that you dont want her to produce a litter, get her done when you feel comfortable. with kelpies it is not wise to let females produce before they are 2, so you have alot of keeping her separated if you dont get her done. I have a 5 month girl as well and a 11month old boy, he is going in for the snip next week. Not sure about her yet, as i dont know if i will show her

I have kelpies, and i really think it comes down to if you have any male dogs that are still in tack. If you know that you dont want her to produce a litter, get her done when you feel comfortable. with kelpies it is not wise to let females produce before they are 2, so you have alot of keeping her separated if you dont get her done. I have a 5 month girl as well and a 11month old boy, he is going in for the snip next week. Not sure about her yet, as i dont know if i will show her

We dont have any other dogs but get the odd working dog passing through property which is a worry. My girl is always with me or contained.If I let her have a heat I will have to be on my toes at all times......Thanks for advice