New Puppy

Karina15

Hi Everyone

Am new to puppyhood + this forum. Got my 10week old lab x poodle, Monty yesterday. Have been reading all the threads for the last few weeks + have found it really helpful. It's a daunting new world!

Picked Monty up from the breeder yesterday and had a 5hr car drive home. He only wimpered for 10mins, before settling and either playing or sleeping in his crate till we got home. And no accidents either! Was very pleased with that.

Had him in his crate in my room last night, so he could see me, and took him out for 2 toilet breaks. He cried for 10mins initially, which i ignored, he then woke again after 30mins + cried for another 10mins before settling himself, plus another 5mins of crying after taking him out for one of the toilet breaks, but no crying after coming back in from his last toilet break, which i figured was pretty good?

After some training, toileting + playing i'm then putting him in his crate to settle himself and sleep in whatever room i'm in. Hope i'm on the right track.

He doesn't like it when i leave him in his indoor playarea - though he can see me in the kitchen. Have played and trained with him in there + left kibble on the floor. Should i just persist with letting him cry and not return into that area till he's settled himself and stopped crying?

Thanks heaps

Edited by Karina15

Hi Karina

Congrats on your pup. A gentle word - designer dog names are not used here - it is a lab x poodle.

You are on the correct approach with him in his area - returning to a barking/ whining dog is rewarding the behaviour - they learn that if they bark, whine then you will come back (which is what they want) and they will continue to escalate the behaviour until you do.

Make it a fun area for him - including leaving toys. It is a good idea to keep toys on rotation so they do not get 'bored' with the same ones - just keep out 3 or so at a time.

It is a good idea for pups to learn from the start that they will be left alone. You should also start leaving the house for a couple of minutes at a time - making sure when you leave and return you make no fuss of the dog and in fact ignore it when you return for a couple of minutes. You build up the time you leave the house for.

With the night toilet breaks - make sure it is simply out on lead, toilet and back into crate - no talking, playing etc.

My 12wk girl staffie is also called Monte and although there is no much whining.... there is a lot of cheekiness!! :rainbowbridge:

We find the squeaky toys distract her to the point that she thinks its a bird or something and goes straight for it :laugh:

Can she see outside from the play area, I'm by no means expert but with Monte if she hears birds and sees outside she easily forgets what's going on around her.

You sound as if you are on the right track :rofl: Now- where are the photos! ?

Just having a few probs trying to load in the pics - it's asking for a url link...when i go to "insert image"...what am i doing wrong?

My 12wk girl staffie is also called Monte and although there is no much whining.... there is a lot of cheekiness!! :rofl:

We find the squeaky toys distract her to the point that she thinks its a bird or something and goes straight for it :rofl:

Can she see outside from the play area, I'm by no means expert but with Monte if she hears birds and sees outside she easily forgets what's going on around her.

Great name :-)

Thanks for the suggestion.

He can see all the outside distractions + get out there easily - so will keep practicing leaving him for short breaks, then building up - only returning when he's quiet. So far so good.

Hi Karina

Congrats on your pup. A gentle word - designer dog names are not used here - it is a lab x poodle.

You are on the correct approach with him in his area - returning to a barking/ whining dog is rewarding the behaviour - they learn that if they bark, whine then you will come back (which is what they want) and they will continue to escalate the behaviour until you do.

Make it a fun area for him - including leaving toys. It is a good idea to keep toys on rotation so they do not get 'bored' with the same ones - just keep out 3 or so at a time.

It is a good idea for pups to learn from the start that they will be left alone. You should also start leaving the house for a couple of minutes at a time - making sure when you leave and return you make no fuss of the dog and in fact ignore it when you return for a couple of minutes. You build up the time you leave the house for.

With the night toilet breaks - make sure it is simply out on lead, toilet and back into crate - no talking, playing etc.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Have edited my listing too. Appreciate the input.