Plate Across Hock Joint

Fusion, with a plate, of the wrist is something one of my ex foster puggies might end up having in a few years to come. So same same but different as your dog.

I guess the recovery time would be the time it takes for the bone to heal around the plate screws. 6 to 8 weeks.

I have seen one, but from what I saw, the quality of the vet has the biggest impact on healing etc.

If you know a really good surgeon whom you can trust to do the surgery, and you are prepared to put in the rehab work afterwards, then your dog should recover well.

I'd suggest laser therapy post op and also glucosamine and chondroitin.

The procedure was done to a dog that I bred which sustained an avulsion fracture in a kennel accident. She went on to a full recovery after many months of crate rest followed by rehab via swimming and gradual increase in "roadwork". I can't give much more info than that because the procedure was done by a vet at a major Michigan Vet School.

Other than that, I had a young dog who shattered an elbow at 17 weeks requiring insertion of much scary-looking hardware. He too had months of crate rest followed by swimming and walking but went on to a full recovery. The fear was that his growth plates would be involved but thankfully he had matured sufficiently that they weren't and we were given the choice as to whether to remove the hardware of leave it in place. I decided to leave it there with the thought that when he aged, it would give some stability to the compromised joint.

Apart from a slight scar on the outside of his leg and a couple of nobbly areas inside his leg where the screws protruded slightly, there was no sign of the operation whatsoever and at the age of 10 months he attended his first Specialty show (and won Best In Show) and the judge was amazed to hear that he had even been injured.

Good luck with the injury and I hope it all goes well.