Whippet Aggression

Hi

My 3yo whippet Lucy has started to become a bit aggressive on lead usually when other dogs interact with the younger dog Bella.

I have noted this a couple of times - Bella was actually interacting with an Iggie (shock horror), however when Lucy noticed she lunged fangs bared, thankfully the Iggie was tough and it didn't phase him at all

Just yesterday she did it again with a sweet greyhound we met on walk who Bella was actually sniffing (yeah), Lucy started lunging growling and bareing teeth. My partner (GRRRR) let her near the greyhound and she went for her.

I am more strict on the dog than OH however when I instruct him to make her sit or face way he just can't seem to do it,so its up to me. He then removed Lucy from the situaation which I felt was completely wrong b/c she should behave.

If I have the lead I usually make her sit or drop calmly either facing the dog a decent distance away or facing the other direction.

Am I doing the right thing

If we are just out walking there is no hint of aggression, walking past dogs in yards or on leashes just with my other whippet if she interacts.

BTW -

Big win on the nervous whippet Bella's front - had a professional trainer out the other day, she thankfully put on the fully performance shaking etc. So he got the full effect. It took a while but we have progress and we have a plan for the future. Yeah

He uses Cesar Millan techniques - and explained himself very well, I enjoyed the session immensely, he really did get it'

Also the new Cesar book is out - Puppy training - so far very very interesting, he buys 4 puppies from different locations including breeders, rescues etc. Haven't got that much further only bought it yesterday. But probably his best book yet in regards to actual training and raising a puppy

He condems puppy mills and pet shops with a passion.

Edited by Neats

I don't think any of us can say if you are doing the right thing without seeing you all interacting. On leash stuff like that often has a lot to do with the relationships between handlers and dogs. There are two handlers and three dogs which makes for a ton of variables. Could be all sorts of things making it happen.

One guess - if your OH isn't fully competent, it could be that she has decided to take control of situations she is not happy with because he is not providing appropriate direction. You can shut her down with Cesar techniques but you won't have solved the underlying problem which is that the OH needs to lift his game.

Training OHs is well outside my field of competence tho' :)

I have had good success with Cesar's methods with a rehome we have too. :)

He was surrendered as agro and as being 'untrainable' (lol!) - he is definitely a live wire but is a sweetie under the tuff nut exterior.