Vegetarian Dog Treats

Cavalier

Does anybody have any suggestions for commercial biscuit style treats for dogs (similar to lucky dog bones) that do not contain any meat?

Have already got the veggie pigs ears (dogs LOVE them!!) and greenies.

PS Im not going to enter into a debate about my dogs vegetarian diet. She is allergic to practically everything and this is the only way I have been able to control her skin allergies. I have put a lot of effort into balancing her diet and her health is not being compromised.

Can she tolerate fish? (My previous dog couldn't tolerate red meat protein, but chicken and fish were fine. Current dog just loves fish on top of regular red meat diet!)

Mega Pet Warehouse stocks loads of different fish-based treats, I daresay they have vegie treats too but I've not looked for it so not sure.

They have loads of dog foods and treats the other stores don't stock.

I bought a box of meat-free treats by accident. Got them at Coles, something like "All Natural" in a green box. Dog like them so I don't have the box anymore.

They do exist!

Edited to add:

Found 'em! Biopet Organic Dog Bones 500g

Protein 10%

Fat 3%

Fibre 3%

Salt 1%

Ingredients

Wholegrain cereals and cereal by-products, vegetable protein, Omega 3 vegetable oil, natural limestone, sea salt, natural preservative (Vitamin E)

Edited by Lowenhart

My dog is pretty fond of Jatz biscuits. If you can't find any dog treats that are vego (vegan or dairy and fish vego?), try the human biscuits. That's if you don't want to make your own.

I also use wholemeal bread (sometimes with promite/vegemite), carrots, bits of sweet potato, dried fish, fish sausage rolls (made by a local dog bikky company), cheese (though this is a bit messy and she's not always interested). And she likes banana, but like yoghurt, doesn't work too well as a treat.

I have also seen yoghurt drops and carob drops, which my dog eats but isn't wild about.

My dog and I are omnivorous so we quite happily use treats and food with meat in them too.

Carrots. Grumpy loves carrots. Amazing that he can so be fooled into thinking they're the Best Thing Ever!

Mine love carrots too! They have raw carrots instead of bones :rainbowbridge: Have also been roasting and dehydrating sweet potato and carrot slices, however I just dont have the time to cook.

Fish is a no go.

Ive been cooking up my own biscuits with oats, lactose free milk, wholemeal flour, carob chips and egg and the dogs go crazy for them! But it took me about 12 hours to bake the darn things and the only lasted a week.

Shall check out the ones at Coles.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Carrots. Grumpy loves carrots. Amazing that he can so be fooled into thinking they're the Best Thing Ever!

Mine love carrots too! They have raw carrots instead of bones :rainbowbridge: Have also been roasting and dehydrating sweet potato and carrot slices, however I just dont have the time to cook.

Fish is a no go.

Ive been cooking up my own biscuits with oats, lactose free milk, wholemeal flour, carob chips and egg and the dogs go crazy for them! But it took me about 12 hours to bake the darn things and the only lasted a week.

Heya,

Did you see the Royal Canin sole protein (vegetarian) kibble? My dog went on it for his allergies.

Fish is a no go.

Heya,

Did you see the Royal Canin sole protein (vegetarian) kibble? My dog went on it for his allergies.

No I havent. She has been on Hills z/d ultra, which improved the allergies but not 100%, when I went to a complete vegetarian diet allergies completely gone! Ill see if I can order some in tomorrow. Would be so much easier to have a commercial food to feed that doesnt have meat.

just curious as to how it took 12 hours to cook the biscuits? they do sound yum though :thumbsup:

mine all love apples, tonight they all shared a cold crisp green apple straight from the fridge. happy doggies.

just curious as to how it took 12 hours to cook the biscuits? they do sound yum though :thumbsup:

mine all love apples, tonight they all shared a cold crisp green apple straight from the fridge. happy doggies.

I only have a small oven and I baked quite a few bikkies!! Had to do it in many stages :laugh:

I bought a box of meat-free treats by accident. Got them at Coles, something like "All Natural" in a green box. Dog like them so I don't have the box anymore.

They do exist!

Edited to add:

Found 'em! Biopet Organic Dog Bones 500g

Protein 10%

Fat 3%

Fibre 3%

Salt 1%

Ingredients

Wholegrain cereals and cereal by-products, vegetable protein, Omega 3 vegetable oil, natural limestone, sea salt, natural preservative (Vitamin E)

Bought some of these tonight and they are a winner! The dogs love them :thumbsup: Thanks for your help!