Help With Leave It Command

Hi Guys

Bit Bit can balance food on arms etc. I am now trying to teach her to leave random food.

Trouble is I think she has two modes. I think she knows "normal" mode and "training" mode so the last few times I have attempted to scatter food around the floor she has been ignoring it and focusing on me. I have been feeding her treats while she does this but she is not exactly leaving food as she was not into it in the first place.

I am using pretty yummy food such as roast chook, stir fried meat and hard boiled eggs so I don't think its the food that is the problem.

Any ideas? I would like her to be tempted by the food, and then call her to leave it and then reward her for leaving it. Right now she is not tempted so we are not making much progress!

I have thought off maybe cooking dinner like normal and then dropping food constantly to see if she goes for it and then teaching her to "leave it" but I'm worried this is the wrong idea and could confuse her. Or if I am not fast enough she'll just end up learning to guzzle food off the floor which is not what I want :(

Any help will be great!

i have the same problem. i drop food and my dog waits for me to tell her to eat it. so what i use is toys or bits of plastic (which she loves to chew) or anything else she values and i leave this stuff around and then tell her to leave it.

:( This is why I love Dol so much!!!! I am such a dumbell! Thanks heaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

Hey Bub - sometimes I ask Zig to "leave" something....he releases it, I reinforce the behaviour with food and then I realise I asked him to leave something that was harmless so I release him back to the object as a bit of a bonus. He's much more likely to "leave" in the first place as he often gets the treat PLUS go back to what he was doing :(

Yeah, we are having this problem a bit as well. I was just kinda assuming we needed to proof it more. Not just food on the floor or in your hand, but on the table, on a chair, on a box, anywhere I can think of. One piece, a small pile, just some plastic, a tissue... the more variations the better?

Hmmm I tried again tonight with tissues and some new toys I haven't given her yet.

All good the first time, she went for them, I told her to leave it, she left it, got her treat. Then she just sat there and looked up at me and ignored all the stuff laid out around her.

I am wondering if I should drop stuff at the park, walk along innocently with her and call her off them..............................

I am wondering if I should drop stuff at the park, walk along innocently with her and call her off them..............................

Yes. :) You can always call her off things she sniffs as well. Kivi gives us lots of opportunities to practice leave it on walks. He likes to pick things up. Often things he's not wildly interested in, so as soon as you say "leave it" he's happy to leave it and come over for his treat.

ETA Also, it's a good idea to trade up. Whenever you ask her to leave something, give her something even better. Even if you just ask her to leave one treat, then give her several treats. Leave kibble, get roast beef. Leave a ball, get a game of tug. That kind of thing.

Edited by corvus

I have been trying to trade up but my trouble is getting her to be interested in the “leave” object in the first place.

Her train of thought seems to be “Ohhh Mum told me to leave ZZZ”

“Alright Mum! I’m not going to do anything! I’m going to sit here and wait for directions from you”

Although this morning we had a terrific recall session because she was madly chasing after my husband (she is REALLY into him) but came running back every time I called. And I released her back to him again so she was such a happy camper! :)

Hi Bub, I didn't reply yesterday because I couldn't see what your problem was :)

You are getting exactly what you are training - well done! Getting results very quickly has never been a problem in my opinion. Just accept that you have a "gifted child" and that you are a doing a good job.

If you want some other ideas, take a look at the Zen exercises in the Training Levels program:

http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20DOGS/Leve...ninglevels.html

Test them all in order from Level 1 upwards, you will soon identify any weaknesses (if there even are any). It sound like you have a lovely, motivated, handler-focused dog. This is the sort of dog who does well as a service dog, obedience competitor etc

Ohh thanks so much for that link!!!!! I try and vary things for her to keep life interesting so this will be another great activity for us!

Our aim Aiden is to try doggy dancing eventually. We are currently working on different tricks right now but I will need to teach her to do things from a distance (which apparently involves throwing food away from me so I am not very confident about this!). She is my second dog but the first one which I have attempted to train and half the time I am not sure of what I’m doing! She tries soooo hard though!!!!!!

We are having lots of fun but that poor clever puppy is wasted on me!!!!!! :)