Baby Teeth Extraction By Vet

Sammy is 9 months old. Cause the tooth was high in the gum, I didn't notice it straight away and it was causing her no pain or discomfort. The vet was hoping that it would eventually loosen and be pushed out, but that didn't happen so we had to go for the more drastic method of extracting it.

It is the tooth on the front side of the canine. The vet said that he doesn't normally see this happen with this particular tooth, normally it is the canine. (Now that I have the correct name for the tooth lol).

She is home now resting. The gum looks a bit swollen but will heal well. She has been given a long acting antibiotic and pain killers for a few days, so she should be fine, its just my wallet that is much lighter. :laugh:

Edited by murraydebbie

From what I've read and been told its pretty common. We were very fortunate as midnight was the same age and after a lot of praying and frozen bones it came out by itself. But that was the last resort before anaesthetic and extraction.

I'm sure your pup will be bouncing around in no time. Keep an eye on her with the pain relief. She will think she is invincible and starting chewing on something that could aggravate the site where the tooth is.

I would try and keep her fairly quiet for a couple of days. The mouth is a very vascular (lots of blood vessels) part of the body and vigorous exercise can cause bleeds while the tissues are healing.

My 7and a half month old has the same tooth retained. I was leaving it for now, but I don't think it is going anywhere soon! It must have happened on the other side as well and that top incisor is now inside his lower incisor, but nothing I can do about it now??? I was thinking I would have it taken out by about 10 months, or sooner if he required an anaesthetic for anything else

Quite common.

Different schools of thought about their extraction. Some say wait until desexing time. Which is great if you are GOING to desex of course! Others say wait until all adult teeth are through and just give extra bones etc.

I don't agree. I personally feel that if the baby teeth haven't started to budge when the adult teeth are coming through, it is time for the baby teeth to come out. And especially if the puppy is a show prospect.