Elizabethan Collars

Vet said not to put an Elizabethan collar on unless he's licking his knee (post luxating patella surgery).

He wasn't in favour of them as they "restrict the dog".

Well, no licking, but found him this morning having ripped out all but 2 staples overnight :p .

Didn't hear a peep out of him, either.

When in doubt, get the Elizabethan collar on and save yourself about $120 at the vet + increased risk of infection.

Best bought at the vet as the one from a pet store would have been too big around neck, but too small to be effective.

I actually asked about it and they said to leave it.

Would have been a lot more $ if he'd needed sedation for the new staples.

Lucky I had some steri-strips here to hold it together at home b4 getting to vet and that the wound hadn't come totally apart (it's ~ 10cm long!).

Looking suitbaly sheepish with the mother of all E Collars on (actually the correct size for him) ......

Postop2.jpg

Looking suitbaly sheepish with the mother of all E Collars on (actually the correct size for him) ......

Sorry - but laughed at the "mother of all" comment above. Bad luck with your experience, PW. Hope all goes well in the healing department from here on end.

Boy .... we've come a long way from the literal "bucket on head" days though. :p

or... preferable for supervised dogs..a plastic basket muzzle :p

Wearing that thing in a crate would not be terribly comfortable

A nice sexy basket muzzle would mean he could lie down without 'bumping' around :laugh:

like HERE scroll down a bit...

unless I had a brachy dog or something.. I wouldn't use anything else on a SUPERVISED dog.

Not quite ready to laugh, yet :rofl: ... still slightly freaked out.

Be ready to laugh at his silly woolly head tomorrow.

Has been about $1700 for him for this last fortnight (medication, consults, operation etc).

What can you do? He's such a good-natured dog and much loved by the whole family.

Have to pick your priorities :rofl:.

His crate has enough space and the collar is flexible.

I agree it's probably not THAT comfortable, but he just lies his head on the side to sleep and it's held on with soft gauze on the neck.

He's on lead at all times when out of crate, so I guide him thru obstacles to avoid him hitting everything with the plastic.

Bumping into things seems to spook him.

BTW, measured the wound: Was 15cm with no staples holding it together :rofl:.

Am SO lucky it didn't come apart.

Mild discomfort vs. open 15cm wound? No contest: He'll be fine with that collar on!

Hope others can learn from my mistake:

* Be wary that as wounds heal they can become itchy/ uncomfortable.

* A dog who previously leaves staples/ stitches alone may choose to get at them later on

* Get the right size Elizabethan collar from the vet

Charlie did it day 4-5 postop.

Edited by Poodle wrangler