Help Please

first timer

Bella is 6mths now (lab) and the last few days she has been going crazy with the digging ;) my backyard looks really bad ;) I have put her poo in the holes told her no, she has a clam shell where she can dig but she doesnt, and she has plenty of toys...what else can I do besides keeping her inside all day every day??

TIA

Bella is 6mths now (lab) and the last few days she has been going crazy with the digging ;) my backyard looks really bad ;) I have put her poo in the holes told her no, she has a clam shell where she can dig but she doesnt, and she has plenty of toys...what else can I do besides keeping her inside all day every day??

TIA

Hi First timer

How much exercise and mental stimulation (formal training with you) is she getting each day? The digging may be out of boredom.

Have you trained her to use the clam shell - ie. lure her over there, try to get her to dig and rewarded her for digging there?

What sort of toys does she have? You could try frozen kongs, frozen blocks of ice with kibble, chicken etc inside (empty ice cream container is great for this!), stuff that is long lasting.

Where is she digging? In the garden beds or in the lawn or just all over? If it is concentrated to the garden beds you could fence them off.

TIA

She could be digging to find the cool soil in the current heat wave. Maybe put some wet towels down on the concrete and see if that helps stop her. One of dogs digs in the heat and it is the only time she does. They did till they get to the cooler soil and then lie in it.

ahh the poo trick goes like this

bury the hole but put plenty of fresh poo just under the surface, just a very light coat of dirt on top.

You can also get keep off crystals that are made of citronella

How much exercise/mental stimulation is she getting too? Start feeding out of dog toys only, no feeding out of bowls. If you feed raw foods, freeze them in an icecream container full of water with a little juice or stock in it.

rotate toys and have a play before/after you leave.