New Strain Of Parvo

Please accept my apologies if this has been posted previously, I can't see it anywhere, have posted to "In The News" as well.

Deadly dog disease is the first seen in Queensland

24 Nov, 2009 03:23 PM

THE first Queensland cases of a new strain of a deadly dog disease has struck in Goondiwindi.

Goondiwindi vet Mac Kneipp raised concerns on Monday urging all dog owners to be wary.

“We have had cases of dog parvovirus at our surgery since December last year,” Mac said.

“Yet again our isolation ward is full of very sick dogs.

“It is the worst possible disease to see a dog suffer.

“Recently we sent samples off to be tested in the USA and to the University of Queensland, Brisbane.

“The results suggest this is a new strain of parvo and this is the first time it has been described in Queensland.

“No dog, no matter how old or how isolated it is, is safe from parvo.

“Many of the dogs we see come off so-called isolated farms,” he said.

* This is the letter informing the Border Vet Surgery to ensure dog owners kept their dogs vaccinated:

Dear Dr Kneipp,

Thank you for submitting two samples for our ongoing surveillance of the strains of parvovirus detected in Australia.

The samples were tested at the University of Queensland. Both samples have been identified as infections with the 2b strain of parvovirus which has not been detected in Queensland previously.

The Canine ParvoVirus 2b strain (CPV-2b) was first detected in Australia in 2002.

This is the first time that this strain has been detected in Queensland.

Parvovirus first caused outbreaks of disease in dogs in 1978. The original strain was called CPV-2.

The original strain of parvovirus is now extinct and has been largely replaced by CPV-2a. Over time CPV-2a may be replaced by CPV-2b as the most common strain circulating in Australia.

Could you please raise awareness of this new strain with dog owners and ensure that all pet dogs in your area are up to date with vaccinations to maximise protection against this deadly disease.

Regards,

Dr Peter Bracken BVSc MACVSc

Technical Services Manager

Animal Health Division

Fort Dodge

Do all vaccines cover for this new strain?

Yes,thats something 'd like to know as well as I've just gone through a devastating past 2 weeks where Ihave lost 9 puppies to parvo after they're 1st vaccination. :nahnah:

Ok don't quote me on this, but I believe this new strain was mentioned by Jean Dodds and a pathologist from VetPath when they came to Aus. The pathologist confirmed that the new strain was in Australia, but believed that dogs who had adequate immunity to the other more common strain of parvo, should also be ok with this new strain?

Someone else might remember more though...

So do parvo vaccinations need to be done yearly, or every three years? I've only had the puppy shots and first yearly shot (and maybe 2nd year but not sure).

refering to minky's comment (sorry to hear that about your puppys :) ) but can the vaccines cause parvo in young pups that just had the shot?

So do parvo vaccinations need to be done yearly, or every three years? I've only had the puppy shots and first yearly shot (and maybe 2nd year but not sure).

refering to minky's comment (sorry to hear that about your puppys :rofl: ) but can the vaccines cause parvo in young pups that just had the shot?

I really don't know, I don't think so and thank you for youe thoughts as it's just about killed me! I've had sick free pups now for well over a weeks and a half and no new deaths but I'm still sitting and crying. It was also very unusual with my pups being so young too.

The others are doing really well and I had my last litter vaccinated and m/ch'd yesterday at 8 weeks of age and they are doing well.

what I've thought about is if we can't controol parvo outbreaks with yearly vacs then how do we expect to control it with 3 yearly vacs. Maybe I'm wrong but this loss has made up my mind to continue yearly vacs.