Agressive Behaviour

Dani M

I'm very concerned about my bully's behaviour towards the puppy we are fostering at the moment. She is 6 months old never shown any agression towards other pups/dogs before & has been around many dogs in many situations. She hasn't shown any of this behaviour towards our other puppy but seems to really dislike the foster pup.

The other day we were feeding them dinner (fresh lamb) each about 2meters apart. Tequila left her food & walked over the the other pup & began snarling at him. I growled at her, took her away & let her finish her food in another room. Yesterday when I went home & the dogs came to greet me she was growling at the pup who was jumping on my leg trying to get my attention (he's still learning house manners!) & then nipped him a few times :rofl::eek: . I'm not sure if she was trying to tell him that he was doing the wrong thing or being dominant or what?

Today OH called me & said that the puppy had bitten her ear & drawn a spot of blood & she tried to have a go at him but he separated them.

The foster pup is going to his new home in the next couple of days but i'm really concerned about her aggression. Any ideas of what the problem may be & what we should do at this point. ;) :(

Keep them seperated until the foster leaves, Bull terrier in my experience do not like to have other dogs around, they love only to be the only child, now the problem with having another dog/cat etc is that they are renown to get jealous and little things can set them off. The biggest problem is that a bull terrier is much more powerful and quick than many dogs and injuries can occur and sometimes serious injurys. They are dominant shites. Play it safe and keep them apart.

I would also recommend if you are not doing this already is enrol your bully in to a GOOD obedience school, where your bully will learn patience with other dogs.

A Bull Terrier is great with people, young and old, they just dont do well with other furry creatures

Cheers

To be honest, that behaviour doesn't sound overly aggressive. It sounds like dominance and maybe jealousy, but not aggression. Having said that, it could definitely be a precursor to aggression. My dogs will tell off naughty puppies when they get too boisterous or cheeky, they might growl or snap at them to put them in their place. But no damage is ever done, its all just a warning.

To err on the side of caution, I would keep them seperate when you're not home and also feed them seperately.

Thanks guys,

The foster pup was picked up this morning & is off to start his new life away from Tequila who didn't like him very much :)

Thanks for the advice. Tequila is already attending obedience school & hasn't shown this behaviour before so i'm not quite sure if I am reading it right. She has spent a few weekends away with my friends dogs aswell & been fine so not sure what her deal is this time around.

I will also be looking into a behavioural consult. If you have any reccomendations let me know! :laugh:

Thanks again

I too think its important to have a behaviour consult if you are going to foster regularly. Have you ever fostered another dog/ puppy before this one with Tequila?

Hey Cosmolo,

I don't plan on fostering regularly & this was the first I have fostered with Tequila. It was more of a favour to a friend than an official favour :banghead:

Despite not intending on fostering regularly I am still keen on a behaviour consult so I can nip any buds @ the start. I don't want any major behaviour problems in future that could have been solved early.

I too think its important to have a behaviour consult if you are going to foster regularly. Have you ever fostered another dog/ puppy before this one with Tequila?

Hey Cosmolo,

I don't plan on fostering regularly & this was the first I have fostered with Tequila. It was more of a favour to a friend than an official favour :banghead:

Despite not intending on fostering regularly I am still keen on a behaviour consult so I can nip any buds @ the start. I don't want any major behaviour problems in future that could have been solved early.

You should prepare yourself for the fact that this problem may not be solved. You've got a breed that's got a higher incidence of dog aggression than most. As she reaches maturity, this may be her adult behaviour you are witnessing. A behavioural consult may give you the skills to manage it, but it may not disappear.

Hey Cosmolo,

I don't plan on fostering regularly & this was the first I have fostered with Tequila. It was more of a favour to a friend than an official favour :laugh:

You should prepare yourself for the fact that this problem may not be solved. You've got a breed that's got a higher incidence of dog aggression than most. As she reaches maturity, this may be her adult behaviour you are witnessing. A behavioural consult may give you the skills to manage it, but it may not disappear.

I'm content with being able to manage the issue. I understand that she is still growing physically & mentally I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want the tools/skills/knowledge to be able to handle it.

if that makes sense :banghead: