11 Mth Old Puppy, Now Starting To Whine At Night If Home Alone

LuvBella

Just curious as to any ideas to help this.

She has only just started doing this over the last couple of weeks.

Our neighbours tell us they never hear her during the day other than when she jumps at their fence at lunch time for a pat before she goes back inside, but lately if we go out for a few hours at night, she apparently sits inside and whines for a while.

She has a doggy door so she can go outside as she pleases, we leave a light in the lounge on, and the radio or TV for noise, and she has heaps of toys to keep her busy.

She doesn't whine when we are leaving, it just seems to be once we have been gone for awhile. When we come home, she is usually asleep on the couch, or waiting by the door because she heard the garage door open.

We are very lucky that the neighbours adore her, and aren't complaining, they just wanted to make sure she was okay.

Thoughts?

Edited by LuvBella

Has there been a storm recently that may have spooked her? Have you been home more with her lately? My shepherd cries some mornings when we leave and sometimes doesn't, our lovely neighbors next to us adore Shyla too and care for her wellbeing and they said they barely hear her now compared to when she was a little puppy. But occasionally she will still cry a bit when we leave, I think it's just her way of protesting.

If she's showing no other signs of anxiety (destructive behavior, excessive drooling, scratched doorways etc) then maybe she just gets bored and whines a bit wondering if you're getting home or anticipating your arrival?

There have been some storms up here lately, but she absolutely loves them, as soon as she hears thunder she starts jumping round, and goes to sit outside and watch the sky.

None of the nights we have been out have had a storm, and there is no destructive behaviour, other than pulling the stuffing out of some of her toys, but that seems to be her fave past time.

I dont think we have changed our timetablle much since we got her.

we get up at 6.30, and leave for work around 7.45. We get home around 6ish and i take her for a walk down to the park for an hour. the rest of the evening is spent either playing, or lying on the couch. shes not a cuddly dog so she does her own thing most of the time. She comes to bed with us some time after 11 usually.

I know thats a long time by herself, but we have done this since she was 2 months old, so its nit a new thing.

Our neighbour tells us if shes not talking to them through the fence, that can see her playing inside or asleep on the couch.

Even when we go out in the evening, i still take her for the walk, so its not like she is missing out on that.

Could this be a phase, or do we have to try limit leaving in the evening so she doesn't get upset?

There have been some storms up here lately, but she absolutely loves them, as soon as she hears thunder she starts jumping round, and goes to sit outside and watch the sky.

None of the nights we have been out have had a storm, and there is no destructive behaviour, other than pulling the stuffing out of some of her toys, but that seems to be her fave past time.

I dont think we have changed our timetablle much since we got her.

we get up at 6.30, and leave for work around 7.45. We get home around 6ish and i take her for a walk down to the park for an hour. the rest of the evening is spent either playing, or lying on the couch. shes not a cuddly dog so she does her own thing most of the time. She comes to bed with us some time after 11 usually.

I know thats a long time by herself, but we have done this since she was 2 months old, so its nit a new thing.

Our neighbour tells us if shes not talking to them through the fence, that can see her playing inside or asleep on the couch.

Even when we go out in the evening, i still take her for the walk, so its not like she is missing out on that.

Could this be a phase, or do we have to try limit leaving in the evening so she doesn't get upset?

Does she have interactive toys as well as ordinary toys? Treat ball that she has to roll around to get treats out of, a kong full of yummy goodies (I do peanut butter and kibble, or frozen chicken etc), a empty plastic coke bottle filled with kibble with holes in it so they come out, a carrot hidden in the garden etc). It could be a phase, how long has she been doing this new behavior? Shyla cried on and off, she would cry some mornings we left, and didn't cry others. The neighbors said she hardly ever cries now, only sometimes. So maybe on those 'sometime' says she's protesting our departure or feeling a bit moody! Who knows :love: