Insurance For Camera Gear In And Out Of The House

Ripley

I just upgraded my home contents insurance and asked about camera equipment. I've now insured that as well. This is with NRMA and they told me I'm covered not only in the house but as a portable item so I'm covered for theft and breakage (ie. breakage from me) when I take my camera and lenses out of the house. Not just for Australia but internationally as well.

To do this (plus upgrade my home contents insurance slightly) it wasn't much extra a month at all (I pay monthly).

Anyone else insure their gear this way? After dropping and breaking my 70-200mm L this year I'm glad I've insured the rest of the gear as I'm clumsy and often hike with a camera backpack on, if I fall into the water, that pack is going down with me.

Yep.

I had my 20D plus 70-200 2.8 replaced under insurance early in the year.

I accidentally left it sitting on the road after a shoot at the beach. It was gone when I went back to get it.

I got a new 40D and a new lens.

The excess is $200 I think but that's fine. I've insured the camera and 3 lenses, not worth insuring the 50mm as it's cheap. I've insured them for what I paid for them at the time. Luke, that must have been an awful feeling! I know how I felt when my lens rolled off the bed and onto the tiles, total stomach sink and then you get really annoyed at yourself.

I'm pretty good with making sure my pack is on me at all times but I'd be pretty likely to fall over in a stream or have a random wave dump me if I was setting up to get a sea shot or worse, lose it over the side of a boat.

Edited by Ripley

Just a hobby, rubiton. I like nature and wild things and taking photos of them. Christmas break is my time to finally sort out my photos and get them up on pbase or similar.

(Was reading the paper today and was amused to read that NSW's recently kicked out Premier, Nathan Rees, mentioned he loves birds and photography and taking photos of them so he might take up that now).

Edited by Ripley