Teaching "stand"

I would like to teach my dog to "stand", And quite frankly can't remember the best way to go about it. I have been, so far, walking him along a wall, putting a flat hand in front of his face (With a treat in it) saying stand, as he eats the treat, running my other hand along his back, ready (but so far unnecesary) to remind him not to sit. I would like eventually for him to stand on a vocal command alone.

Hints, tips, and straight out telling me how to do it, would be much appreciated.

thank you

I would like to teach my dog to "stand", And quite frankly can't remember the best way to go about it. I have been, so far, walking him along a wall, putting a flat hand in front of his face (With a treat in it) saying stand, as he eats the treat, running my other hand along his back, ready (but so far unnecesary) to remind him not to sit. I would like eventually for him to stand on a vocal command alone.

Hints, tips, and straight out telling me how to do it, would be much appreciated.

thank you

Stand was the hardest thing I ever taught.

AFAIK, the typical method is to lure from a sit or a down with food in the hand and click as soon as the dog stands.

Fade the food quick, fade the hand quick, try to get to a verbal as quickly as possible.

Teaching on a table might help prevent creeping forward.

Teach him to target your hand first, then once he's got this down-pat, you can start moving it slightly away from him so that he has to stand to touch it. Once he's doing this realiably, you can then add the cue. This is by far the easiest way to teach it...well I think anyway.

I have a few other techniques as well but best you try one thing first.

we were taught it as an end to heeling - so with the dog in heel position when you go to stop say "stand" - elongate the "an" section so its like "staaaaaaannnnnnd" and hand across right to left in front of the eyes - the move the hand down the side of the dog and hold against the curve of the upper leg - this stops them from sitting .... then as they get to know it you shorten the "stand" command and can start minimizing the hand movement - we now just do a quick flick in front of the eyes right to left and/or word cue and he gets both

I taught Charlie by putting a treat in front of his nose and pull it away from him till he stand.. say 'Stand' and then I give him the treat. At the beginning he would try to get the treat out of my fingers but i won't realise it till he does what I ask. He learn quick smart he won't get it till he does what I ask. Then give him a 'sit' command. We repeat it again.

Teach him to target your hand first, then once he's got this down-pat, you can start moving it slightly away from him so that he has to stand to touch it. Once he's doing this realiably, you can then add the cue. This is by far the easiest way to teach it...well I think anyway.

I have a few other techniques as well but best you try one thing first.

Never heard of this method before - I need to try it on my girl who refuses to lure and tenses up for a "guide show place". She loves targeting though.

Let us know how you go with it Megan. I was never a fan of 'guide show place' stands, in fact I am not a fan of any form of compulsion methods since this changes the dynamics of learning for a dog. Just remember that once you get to stage 2, you need to have the dog sitting so that he can learn the action of getting up into a stand. Keep your hand relatively close so that he doesn't creep forward.