Just Found A Lump On My Gsd's Underside

myboy

I was just giving my 10 year old GSD a cuddle. Feeling guilty cause we are about to go one 3 weeks holiday and was giving him some extra mummy attention.

I found a lump on his underside. It seems to have a mole type of thing at the top of it. It is about the size of a . . . . 10 cent piece but sphere not flat. it moves quite readily under his skin.

What is you lump experience?

I remember reading some where about how a cancer acts as compared to a cyst and I can't remember what is what.

Can someone help me?

Good luck at the vets tomorrow. :laugh::eek:

My Stafford has had a lot of cysts removed but nothing to worry about and my Cattle dog has had 1 cancerous lump removed (well encapsulated thank God).

I know how scary it is but hopefully all will be ok.

My (then 6) yr old Shep has a half a sphere lump halfway around his ribcage, hmm it isn't really mobile and is a fatty lump

the vet said we could remove it, but dogs that get fat lumps are prone to getting them and more will just pop up - if he has to go under for anything else, like another cut foot, they are happy to remove it then. I check it regularly and so far it hasn't changed shape/size - must be ~5months now

We have had a lump on our GSD removed. It was like a squishy marble size ... which turned out to be a fatty lump but it had me very worried at the time. It was removed when he went under to have stitches in his leg.

Best to discuss it with your vet.

Thanks

Seems that the vet believes it is a fatty lump due to the way it is acting.

It was just a hard call as we are about to go away for 3 weeks and I didn't want it to be left unchecked.

They are pretty satisfied to leave it until we get back.

Thankgoodness (this time).

Did the vet do a fine needle aspirate to check it was a fatty lump??

My boy got one 2 years ago, very small so I had it checked just a fatty lump and not worth removing, each year when they go for there check ups I get it checked again, this year as it had grown my vet re checked it and emptied it out so you can hardly feel it now.

My old GSD boy has lumps and bumps.

I recently had a largish lump removed from his underside, not because it was life threatening, but because it had gown to quite a size and was very unsightly. The lump was tested when it was small and was found to be a lypoma (sp?), meaning fatty lump so there wasn't any immediate concern. Over the years, however, it grew slowly and started to "hang". Because of his age, there was a risk with putting him under the anaesthetic, but after some blood tests which came back all OK, I decided to have it removed.

He still has some smallish lumps around his body but my vet told me that as long as they don't feel "connected" to tissue and don't grow at a fast rate, it would be safe to assume they are also fatty lumps. I regularly keep an eye on these though...just in case.

Good luck with your baby...fingers crossed it is only a fatty lump like Buddy's.

My BC x girl has a few fatty lumps.

She's had each one checked as we find them.

The vet has been pretty confident they have been fatty lumps if they move around freely and when they draw what they can out via a needle and put it on a glass slide, it is oily/greasy.

Glad to hear you vet just thinks you boy has fatty lumps. It is a bit scary when you find a lump on you dog and don't know what it is.......

I remember reading some where about how a cancer acts as compared to a cyst and I can't remember what is what.

A doctor once told me that (in humans, at least) cancerous lumps have irregular edges so they feel 'bumpy' - they are also hard and will not move. Cysts and other non-cancerous lumps are supposed to have smoother edges and feel softer, so they will move if you press on them