Dimitrol

Sandra777

OK - 2 questions.

This time last year I had the bitches injected with Proheart12. Know the error of my ways and won't be doing that again.

I've decided to give them Dimitrol daily during the mozzie season and possibly year round, but not decided yet (more research needed)

However.....

1) Am I right in believing I don't start them on dimitrol until 13 months after the proheart12 injection or have I understood this incorrectly and should start 12 months after the injection. I realise Dimitrol mustn't be given to dogs with heartworm so the timing is pretty important to me. :cry:

2) Most sources say puppies should start on heartworm preventatives at 8 weeks. Do people think Dimitrol daily is the right drug to use in small puppies, if not, what age would start them with dimitrol and if not 8 weeks what would you use in the meantime. Also, do you generally consider that 8 weeks is the right age to start with a preventative, regardless of what is used.

TIA

Edited by Sandra777

Just make sure they have a heartworm test BEFORE you begin because Dimmitrol is dangerous for dogs who already have heartworm.

Sandra777 - Just so we can all learn from the 'error of your ways' can you please let us know what the issues are with the annual injection for heartworm please. Thanks.

The Proheart 6 (6 monthly) was banned overseas due to so many deaths , seizures etc it caused. They have re-introduced it back in June this year & every customer has to sign to say they understand the risks,so it still has the dangers , nothing has changed in the "ingredients". Our Proheart 12 here in Australia is supposedly 3 times the dosage of Proheart 6 that was banned!

I use monthly tablets (which last 6 weeks in the dogs system, but they say monthly as it is easier for pet owners to remember).....I give it only through mosquito season , not in winter.........When I lived in a tick area, I was using Advantix through necessity, and therefore did not use tablets at all as Advantix repels mosquitos.

It is not that easy to contract heartworm as we are lead to believe.

Sandra777 - Just so we can all learn from the 'error of your ways' can you please let us know what the issues are with the annual injection for heartworm please. Thanks.

The Proheart 6 (6 monthly) was banned overseas due to so many deaths , seizures etc it caused. They have re-introduced it back in June this year & every customer has to sign to say they understand the risks,so it still has the dangers , nothing has changed in the "ingredients". Our Proheart 12 here in Australia is supposedly 3 times the dosage of Proheart 6 that was banned!

Oh boy! I haven't used it myself but I know a dog I bred has been given it at the beginning of this year. That's a worry. It's not safe but being dispensed daily at the vets!

i use the dimitrol daily tablets, havent had a problem with them but just need to test for heart worm before you start them,

They had proheart12 last December so in theory should not have heartworm. Would you still get them tested prior to switching?

We've had a dog here for the past 7 months who is usually treated with a monthly ivermectin dose - yes they do use cattle pour on.

I asked his owner if she wanted to test him prior to me starting him on dimitrol and she said no, and he had no problems (she distinctly understood the implications of the question I was asking).

I use monthly tablets (which last 6 weeks in the dogs system, but they say monthly as it is easier for pet owners to remember).....I give it only through mosquito season , not in winter.........When I lived in a tick area, I was using Advantix through necessity, and therefore did not use tablets at all as Advantix repels mosquitos.

It is not that easy to contract heartworm as we are lead to believe.

Hmm - now THAT is interesting because the local vet denied this was reliable - and yes he knew that whatever the answer I would not be buying the products from him. :thumbsup:

We live in a bad tick area, currently using Advantix because the girls both have litters, previously used permoxin and will be going back to it.

Yes, I know the risk of heartworm is very over-rated and am pretty sure I won't be doing anything in the off season, but still need to think more on that one. Do you test your dogs prior to starting to dose them again at the start of mozzie season?

All a learning experience for me, ex-kiwi here :eat:

Wot she said :thumbsup:

Can't answer the first question...I start my babies at 10-12 weeks of age and have never had a problem, my Nana did the same for the 40 odd years she was in the game :eat:

What do you start them on, dimmitrol? (sorry, just realised the only one here who can spell is tess32 :thumbsup: )

i use the dimitrol daily tablets, havent had a problem with them but just need to test for heart worm before you start them,

They had proheart12 last December so in theory should not have heartworm. Would you still get them tested prior to switching?

We've had a dog here for the past 7 months who is usually treated with a monthly ivermectin dose - yes they do use cattle pour on.

I asked his owner if she wanted to test him prior to me starting him on dimitrol and she said no, and he had no problems (she distinctly understood the implications of the question I was asking).

for around $35 and its take about 90 sec its worth it.

only issue i can see is that if you are to stop using dimmitrol during the year at any point (ie non mozzie season etc) then you will need to retest for heartworm before you can start using again. i have always been taught that heartworms will generally only show up after 6 months of presence, so once the initial test has been done another is recommended (not enforced, always owner discretion) in 6 months time.

This is half the reason we recommend ppl stay on dimmitrol all year, simply to avoid the cost and hassle of testing.. but that's just from what i have read and been taught.. if there's medical ppl here who know better feel free to enlighten me :D

No idea about switching to dimmitrol but I switched mine back to Interceptor monthly after two years of the Proheart injection. My issue (apart from all the bad reports coming out of the US) was I suspected the dogs had developed severe itch problems from the injecton. Vet advised to wait 13 months from the injection to see if the itch problem started at the same time of year or not. It didn't, so I was more convinced the injection had been the cause. I advised the vet I wouldn't be using it again and was told it was fine to just start the dogs again on the Interceptor, 13 months after the last injection. They didn't need to be tested as the injection covers them for the full 13 months.

Once again I have itch free dogs so I am now totaly convinced that the whole cause of the problem was the Proheart injection. These two dogs had no itch problems until I used it but had to be treated contantly for about 9 or 10 months after each injection. If I had made the connection after the first one they would never have had the second one but it just never occured to me until it happened again.

I have always started babies on heartworm prevention at 8 - 11 weeks depending on the time of year. In the summer it is always 8 weeks but in the cooler months I usually worm them at 7 weeks and give the new owner the first monthly heartworm/ wormer to give them at 11 weeks. I think from memory we used to start dimmitrol at about 10 weeks but I haven't used it for about 20 years so cannot remember exactly.

for around $35 and its take about 90 sec its worth it.

Not denying it and would not take any risks, but I'm new to all this heartworm preventation and am :rolleyes: They were given a heartworm preventative, so before I switch to another form of heartworm preventative you would recommend I test them for heartworm? So the first one I gave isn't effective or you would do it just to be safe (which is fine, I want them to be safe).

ETA: not arguing, just wanting clarification from people who have lived with this problem and found good solutions.

Edited by Sandra777

• 1 month later...

If you are following a Proheart injection with dimmitrol, I would start the dimmitrol on the due date for the proheart injection (12 months from when it was given).

If you are repeating the Proheart injection there is a period of leeway because the moxidectin has a 'reach back' effect, but this does not exist for dimmitrol - it should be given once a day, every day with no breaks (unless you are heartworm testing prior to resuming treatment).