My Nipping Chihuahua

Jacinta

Jacinta- i don't mean to be rude, but you need to get someone to come and help you and SEE what is going on. You are trying technique after technique without success which suggests the techniques are not being implemented effectively, or they are not right for the dog in question. Your puppy is having tantrums and winning- EVERY time this happens you will make the behaviour more resistant to change.

Squealing does not always indicate pain but may indicate surprise- but can't be sure without seeing what you are doing. Every time your pup has a tantrum or squeals and gets what they wany (by then squirming away) the next time you try- the pup will try even harder- squeal louder, squirm more vigorously, growl and snap with more intensity- because they know it works.

Its unlikely to be dominance- but the pup learning that these behaviours work so well can certainly lead to more dominate behaviours.

I wasn't meaning your exact suburb or address- most people will say something like south east melbourne or gippsland etc just so recommendations can be made :(

I just tried that snout holding technique with doggie and she didn't calm down. If anything she tried to bite me harder. she was growling alot this time- I guess she really does think she is the top dog. Doesn't it work the first few days?

Hi Jacinta,

I'm certainly no expert but I had quite a lot of trouble with my puppy biting, especially when he was around the age yours is. If it's any consolation, I think you're probably in the most painful stage, when they're getting strength in their jaw but still have razor sharp puppy teeth! I had to be really consistent for many weeks with my puppy to get him to stop nipping at me, and I tried a couple of different techniques but really found being consistent with one worked best.

I had the most success with the yelp then stand up, cross my arms and turn my back on him - I tried a thumb under the tongue a few times but with a small dog it was difficult, like you said with a hand around the snout. I found that by standing up he physically couldn't get to me as easily, and he hated me ignoring him more than anything. If I sat down again and he tried again I'd yelp and stand up again straight away. As soon as I sat down and he didn't go straight for me I'd stick a toy in his mouth and play with him with the toy. Any contact of teeth on skin and up I'd stand again.

It was funny because as he got a bit older he would still do it (still tries now and then, he's six months) but I could tell that it had clicked that he wasn't meant to be doing it and he was just pushing the limits. Once that started I would do a loud, deep AAHHH and look at him with an annoyed face for half a second, then stand up, turn away and even walk away from him. Because he now understands and wants me to be happy with him he tends to sit straight down and wait for me to talk to him again.

Anyway, sorry this is such a long response from someone who's definitely no expert, but I do know what it's like to have bitey little mouth going for you and I really found that total consistency and perserverence worked for me.

Good luck!!

puppies and dogs up the ante - she's trying harder and harder to prevent you from 'winning' the situation. All breeds will do it.

There are many professional trainers here who regularly offer help, we usually ask which area so we can know who to recommend to you :rofl: If you dont feel comfortable we all have websites you can access.

She is growling in play. Just very rough play! I think her 'respect' for your dad more comes from him being a male, not that he's physically bigger.

When the pup bites, get up and stop all play dont get physical with her as it is not working and you are creating more bad habits. When she settles, give her a pat and start play again. If she yelped from a scruffing it is probably more a reaction to make you let go unless you are being very rough, but most pups are quite resilient. What you can also do is put a bitter spray on your hand and when the pup goes for a nip also growl 'grr NO' and it will associate nipping with unpleasant tastes.

If you really get stuck give one of us a call for a consult ;) Most puppy schools can only go so far with behavior.

If Moose ever nips at my fingers (which he sometimes does during play) I immediately close my fist and say no! and that stops him in his tracks. He is pretty smart and knows that nip = game over.

Chi's are very intelligent (I think mine is anyway!) and it sounds like your girl has decided that she is the boss when YOU should be topdog. I think you need to take the advice of others on here, especially Nekhbet and Cosmolo, and see a trainer to help you solve this. Better to "nip" it in the bud now rather than have problems later.

Edited by moosepup