Could This Be An Anal Gland Problem?

I've noticed over the past few weeks that my dog's hind legs seem be be stiff at the end of the day, whether we've been for a walk or not. He walks like he is about to squat and poop, and when he rises from lying down he drags his back legs up, seeming to not want to move them. I took him to the vet who did a thorough exam and said she couldn't find anything wrong and booked him in for an xray next week and sent us home with some anti-inflam drugs. The drugs don't seem to have made much difference after 4 days, and we've now noticed him dragging his bum on the carpet/grass, he has a bit of a smell about him and when I tried extending his back right leg he whined and pulled away. Could the whole stiff leg and squatting thing be related to an anal gland problem? I plan on calling the vet tomorrow...I really don't want to have to pay $500 for an xray that may show up nothing.

FYI, the stiff leg/squat thing only seems to occur in the late afternoon/evening...he is perfectly fine in the morning. The vet doesn't think it is a hip thing as he is fine going up/down stairs, jumping out of the car, running around with the puppy etc.

Edited by muffinmclay

It may not be hips but what about checking for luxating patellas or cruciate ligament issues. Both of those have caused similar issues with some of the dogs I've owned.

The two things may be connected- what state were his anal glands when you were at the vets?

I am thinking, if he does have some skeletal problem causing a muscle weakness.. maybe his anal glands are leaking a bit ....

he could also have an internal muscle /tendon problem....

or something else internal which then hurts around his pelvis...

It does read as a back problem at first glance- the anal gland thing may just be a coincidence?

Glad you are getting an xray- but it may not pick up anything ..

I hope someone can give you better ideas :rofl:

poor boy :laugh:

I'm not an authority but can only speak of my experience of one dog. I have one that just one day didn't want to walk. All he wanted to do was squat. he just seemed more comfortable sitting rather than walking. I went to the vets a few times, anitinflammatories, x-rays, etc. Nothing really wrong. Metacam helped as a an anitinflammatory as we thought maybe he strained himself, but his anal glands were also full i think. From memory having them emptied helped. Now whenever i see him scoot or try to bite his rear end on more than one occasion, I think that maybe his glands need to be emptied.

No harm in getting them squeezed.