Off Eukanuba Puppy Food And Too Many #2's!

Meeche

Hi there.. I have a nearly 5 mth old Labrador who has been on Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy since we got her. It has been hit and miss with this and she generally eats her food. She definately doesn't woof it down and doesn't love it. If we put an egg with it she eats it NO problem, or a bit of milk. The last week or so she doesn't seem to like it at all.

I have read tonight that I should take her food away if she doesn't eat it so will try that. Do you think I should be giving her anything else with the dry food? She is 20kg and is 5mths old next week. I don't want an overweight dog so don't want to get into the habit of giving her extra food when it isn't necessary.

She will sometimes get treats like bones etc or the egg but it isn't every day.

The other thing is that she does so many #2's! Minimum 3 a day, sometimes 5!!! Is that normal???? I thought they were meant to do less # 2's when they ate premium food????

So you think I should be changing her food? I thought this was the "best" for the lab??

Thanks....

I don't particularly like Eukanuba ... maybe look at something like Royal Canin or Artemis - you should be able to get samples to try.

As far as giving her extra stuff - that is no real problem as long as you reduce the amount of dry to compensate for the extra food. I used to give my boys stuff like chicken necks, chicken frames, sardines, egg and bones (brisket etc). I have now switched to total raw and our boys are loving it.

Hi there.. I have a nearly 5 mth old Labrador who has been on Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy since we got her. It has been hit and miss with this and she generally eats her food. She definately doesn't woof it down and doesn't love it. If we put an egg with it she eats it NO problem, or a bit of milk. The last week or so she doesn't seem to like it at all.

I have read tonight that I should take her food away if she doesn't eat it so will try that. Do you think I should be giving her anything else with the dry food? She is 20kg and is 5mths old next week. I don't want an overweight dog so don't want to get into the habit of giving her extra food when it isn't necessary.

She will sometimes get treats like bones etc or the egg but it isn't every day.

The other thing is that she does so many #2's! Minimum 3 a day, sometimes 5!!! Is that normal???? I thought they were meant to do less # 2's when they ate premium food????

So you think I should be changing her food? I thought this was the "best" for the lab??

Thanks....

Who told you it was "best" for the lab?

My 14week old lab pup is on Advance Puppy Plus Growth Large Breed as was recommended by his Breeder and he woof's it down like a little greedy pig ;) even though I feed it to him in a "slow feeder" bowl that is designed to stop them hoovering it up :) and the kibble size is a large size as well - he definitely has a typical labrador's healthy appetite :(

He was initially on human grade mince and Advance, which after a few weeks, I stopped the mince and replaced it with bones (brisket, chicken wings, necks and I recently introduced chicken frames and when he gets a bit bigger I will introduce lamb necks, kangaroo tails and salmon heads. I also give him tinned sardines with his Advance 1-2 times a week, and also an egg 1-2 times a week, as well as yoghurt twice a week and a mixture of vegies 2-3 times a week. He is doing very well on his diet :laugh:

My pup does on average around 3 poos a day, sometimes it is a bit hard to tell if it is 2 or 3 now that he is getting bigger as I have two other Labs as well :cheer: , so I make sure I do the poop patrol twice a day. I would say that 5 poos a day is excessive, but unfortunately is common with various dry foods on the market :cheer:

If you do change your girl's food, swap her over to it gradually and also get a small bag to start with to try and you may even be able to get some free samples of some of the food you might want to try. Also do a bit of research on the various dry foods out there. There are quite a number of threads on DOL on dry foods that you can search on and you will find a variety of foods and opinions :cheer: The main thing is to find a food your girl likes and she does well on :rofl: Over time I hope to reduce the kibble component of my boy's diet to around 25-30% of his diet, so that the main component 70-75% will be RMB.

All the best with your girl :cheer:

• 3 weeks later...

how much eukanuba are you feeding,a lot of people feed far more than the dog actually needs which causes excessive waste or no.2's.i have used euk on my dogs for over 10 years and i find the food brilliant and if fed excliusively and correct qty,dogs do really well on it.steer clear of human food as this will affect the dogs skin and weight if its a regular thing.this food is very concentrated so dont be tempted to give more than the guide on the bag recommmends.

There is nothing wrong with Eukanuba it is a very good food. But.......................... I know a lot of dogs that have a palatability issue with it. It does not appeal to all dogs. You could try RC or Eaglepack. Advance is another that is popular.

Some dogs just don't like a particular type of food. What does your breeder suggest?

For our Adult Labs we feed Royal Canin 4800 plus raw meat and vegies. 4800 comes in a 20kg bag. The baby pups are on Royal Canin Junior $12kg bag with softened with boiling water & biolac. Eventually they will get chicken mince and vegies and RC Junior bickies. I have no weight problems with my Labs... so far.

RC 4800 is a very high energy food made for atheltic dogs not puppies.

RC make a lab food, or try the Maxi range. Maybe it has always made her stomach sore and she's finally over it. My Mal was raised on Eukanuba, within a few weeks of being home with me she was completely incapable of eating it without diahrrea, doubling over in cramps, bloat, wind etc.

Try the RC large breed puppy, very palatable. 20kg seems quite a bit for a pup of that age, if you can't feel ribs easily your dog is too fat :) And two meals a day helps keep them interested in food yet not starving

My lab baby was on Supercoat as well as some raw food when he was still with the breeder. When he came home he got a mixture of dry food along with raw meats and vets all natural. Now his diet is mostly fresh food.

Just because a dog food is "made" for dogs doesnt mean the dog will like it or even be able to accept it. Like humans, there are some foods, they just dont like or for some reason their system cant tolerate.

I would suggest switching foods and gradually adding in fresh food as well.

There is heaps of choice out there, and the suggestions posted on here are all good choices but if you are unsure contact a small animal nutritionist who will be able to help you out.

:thumbsup: