Pancreatitis Diet Info

Lab_Rat

Anyone out there got any good, simple dietary suggestions for a large breed dog with pancreatitis??

Ive tried doing a search here and on the internet, but cant find much other than symptoms and causes!

Thanks in Advance

Rat

Thanks Staffyluv - I did find the second link last night, but obviously my brain wasnt working too well!!

It seems to be a very individual thing when it comes to what the poor pancreatic dog can and cant eat!!

I will pass on the info I have - I wonder if roo meat is available in the UK???

After the bit of reading I have done, I sure hope I never have to deal with such a nasty disease.

Thanks again

Rat

My greyhound suffers from pancreatitus, and I feed her Royal Canin low fat digestive food, both canned and dry.

I have also used the Hills I/D, but she prefers the RC.

I also give her cooked veggies, cooked rice or pasta occasionally, low fat cottage cheese, low fat yoghurt and boiled chicken breast and for a treat some really lean steak, not too much though as some proteins can affect them too.

I cook some treats but also give her some Bonio type treats which are about 3% fat. She seems to be able to tolerate things which are below 6% fat, such as Tuckertime roll.

Good luck, it is a problem that you have to be vigilant about all the time. I have friends, who when they visit, bring my whippets treats, and I have to quickly grab a suitable treat for Ebony from the pantry for them to give her, as the things they give the whippies could upset her.

Trish

One of my dogs had pancreatitis (suspected cause was a long-term low dose of cortisone for skin allergy). She is now on a diet of cooked kangaroo meat with mashed pumpkin and potatoes. I feel she is a bit thin though and that has me worried.

• 2 weeks later...
One of my dogs had pancreatitis (suspected cause was a long-term low dose of cortisone for skin allergy). She is now on a diet of cooked kangaroo meat with mashed pumpkin and potatoes. I feel she is a bit thin though and that has me worried.

My 12 year old mini schnauzer also had a very bad attack of pancreatitis which I too suspect was brought on by predisonal because of schnauzer bumps. I always feed them with very low fat foods, but I give them raw. My regular vet advised to put him on the commercial diet foods such as Royal Canin or Hills, especially made for pancreatic sufferers. I was not impressed with her suggestion and took him to a homeopthic vet who modified his diet slightly and also put him on digestive enzymes because he was eating very well, but losing condition. He looks great now, having regained some body mass.

• 2 years later...

Yeah it sucks. My crossbreed had it really badly. You can't feed them too much because they get an attack or too little because they look so skinny! I recommend a bit of rice or potato to fatten them up (I foster dogs and regularly get underweight, neglected dogs. It's so lovely once you realise you've fattened them up a bit and they no longer look sickly!) However, if you have to choose, it's better to err on the side of caution - each attack causes more damage, limiting their digestive abilities so it's a vicious cycle.

It is lucky some dogs can still be fed raw but our Major was too sensitive. The cooking liquifies the fat so you can remove it all. We tried roo but it was too protein-rich for Major so we ended up on chicken breast, which apparently has easy to digest protein. Lucky dog ate better than we did! Anyway, good luck!