Strange Season

oakeydoak1

Hi, my bitch recently came into season, this is the third time she is been in season but the first time I have experienced her season as I bought her at 18 months. Soon after she came in she was swishing her tail to the side, she was "winking" and trying to mount the Dog. All the things my other bitches have always done when they are ready. Can bitches be ready so early in their season? (Day three - four) or is she just exceptionally randy? :( I have to AI her and I know you can get the blood tests done but just wondered if anyone else has experienced this so early?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yep - they can be standing that early. Progesterone testing would be the way to go so you know either way. Some bitches which display this sort of behaviour actually have hormonal issues, won't conceive and may end up with pyometra, hope your's isn't one of them :(

I have had a bitch mate on day 4 before.

I also have one girl who is a real hussy and will mate from day 1 but will not ovulate till day 12-14.

If you are doing an AI you should be doing progesterone test from day 3 onwards (so my vets says).

Leanne