Jetpets Vic - Tassie

Andisa

Just a quick question on worming requirements for sending puppies from Vic to Tassie.

I have a pug pup going over to Tassie soon and the new owners said I need the pup to be wormed (incuding Hydatid tapeworm) 14 days prior to sending. Also need a stat dec or vet letter as proof of the pup being wormed with an all wormer (and the packaging), he is already done so would not want him done again so soon. They also want the packaging - I buy in bulk so will need to get a small pack to send with him.

I was told by someone else that it is within 10 days and they have not had a vet letter - their office is now closed so will have to call them tomorrow.

So what do DOLers do when sending pups to Tassie?

Just a quick question on worming requirements for sending puppies from Vic to Tassie.

I have a pug pup going over to Tassie soon and the new owners said I need the pup to be wormed (incuding Hydatid tapeworm) 14 days prior to sending. Also need a stat dec or vet letter as proof of the pup being wormed with an all wormer (and the packaging), he is already done so would not want him done again so soon. They also want the packaging - I buy in bulk so will need to get a small pack to send with him.

I was told by someone else that it is within 10 days and they have not had a vet letter - their office is now closed so will have to call them tomorrow.

So what do DOLers do when sending pups to Tassie?

I went over to Tassie in October and my Vet had to worm the dogs himself and then gave me the stat dec, it has to be done "within" 14 days of arrival in tassie so it can be done a couple days before. A phone call to your vet will tell you what to do.

Im in Tas, and I have never heard of this needing to be done at all, not from flying into Tas, anyway. I 'imported' a puppy from NSW about 12 months ago, and none of this was necessary :thumbsup:

Im just about to take my dogs to Vic for a Specialty, over on the boat, and I believe I will need to worm them within 10 days of arriving in Tas, so maybe thats what was meant :rolleyes: . Mind you, they give you the pills, and you say that you will be worming them, but unless done there on the spot, how do they know if you do do them :welcome: .

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR DOGS INTO TASMANIA

Advice has been received from the DEPARTMENT OF PRIMARY INDUSTRY AND WATER that the following requirements in relation to the entry of dogs into Tasmania WILL NOW BE ENFORCED

Dogs must be treated with praziquantel at a dose rate of 5 mg/kg body weight within 14 days BEFORE entry to Tasmania and evidence provided to an inspector of that treatment.

Suitable evidence of treatment is:-

1. Statement the the dogs have been treated, made in writing by a veterinarian registered in the exporting State or Territory; or

2. A Statutory Declaration that the dogs have been treated made by the owner or person in charge of the dog in the exporting State or Territory; or

3.Presentation to an inspector on arrival in Tasmania of the packaging from a worming preparation containing a level of prazzziquantel suitable for treating the dogs being imported and a statement that the dogs were treated with that preparation.

4. Puppies under 12 weeks are exempt

Common types of worming preparations include Drontal. Droncit, Milbemax and Popantel

IF DOGS ARRIVE IN TASMANIA WITHOUT TREATMENT THEN THEY MAY BE ISSUED WITH AN INFRINGMENT NOTICE OR AN ON-THE-SPOT FINE.

Further information can be obtained from the DEPARTMENT OF PRIMARY INDUSTRY AND WATER on 1800 684 215

Details are also available on the DPIPWE Website:

DPIWE

Well bugger me jack :rofl:

First time I actually answer something cos I feel confident in giving the correct answer, and Im wrong :laugh::o

Back to crawling under the rock I live in :dancingelephant:

Firestone do you know why this has come about ???

It's a new requirement rajacadoo but they are very stirct about it now.

It came about because a couple of dogs up North were found to have Hydatid some time ago and in order to keep Tassie Haydatid free they introduced the requirements. Previous to this I was always asked by AQUIS whether or not my dogs had been treated or not but now they are asking for physical evidence.

You wouldn't have had to go through this with Ochre because she was under 12 weeks old when you got her and therefore exempt from the requirements because she was too young at the time. :dancingelephant:

Edited by ~Midniara~

Well bugger me jack :)

First time I actually answer something cos I feel confident in giving the correct answer, and Im wrong :hug::(

Back to crawling under the rock I live in :)

Firestone do you know why this has come about ???

They used to give you the Hydatid Tablet on entry if your had not done the dog or if you were unsure of the worming status of the dog arriving here. Its not new its always been there they are not giving out the tablets now they have put the onus on owners and those bringing them into Tassie to make sure they are done.

Not only are they not handing out the tablets to worm the dogs on arrival, but there are significant fines that they can impose for not meeting the Quarantine import requirements.

Also, you need to be sure that there is a Quarantine officer present at the airport when your dog arrives so that they can check your paperwork, otherwise the freight company may be obliged to hold your dog until a Quarantine officer is on duty. Sending a dog in the morning seems to be the safest option.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR DOGS INTO TASMANIA

Advice has been received from the DEPARTMENT OF PRIMARY INDUSTRY AND WATER that the following requirements in relation to the entry of dogs into Tasmania WILL NOW BE ENFORCED

Dogs must be treated with praziquantel at a dose rate of 5 mg/kg body weight within 14 days BEFORE entry to Tasmania and evidence provided to an inspector of that treatment.

Suitable evidence of treatment is:-

1. Statement the the dogs have been treated, made in writing by a veterinarian registered in the exporting State or Territory; or

2. A Statutory Declaration that the dogs have been treated made by the owner or person in charge of the dog in the exporting State or Territory; or

3.Presentation to an inspector on arrival in Tasmania of the packaging from a worming preparation containing a level of prazzziquantel suitable for treating the dogs being imported and a statement that the dogs were treated with that preparation.

4. Puppies under 12 weeks are exempt

Common types of worming preparations include Drontal. Droncit, Milbemax and Popantel

IF DOGS ARRIVE IN TASMANIA WITHOUT TREATMENT THEN THEY MAY BE ISSUED WITH AN INFRINGMENT NOTICE OR AN ON-THE-SPOT FINE.

Further information can be obtained from the DEPARTMENT OF PRIMARY INDUSTRY AND WATER on 1800 684 215

Details are also available on the DPIPWE Website:

DPIWE

Thanks so much for this. Bluey will be 9 weeks old when he leaves so is still under 12 weeks old. He was done anyway so he will be fine.

Will make sure I have this info put aside for next time. :thumbsup:

Oh, if your puppy even is close to 12 weeks when it flies, it might pay to have some proof of age sent along with the pup - a vaccination card, registration papers etc.

Tassie Quarantine advised us to send the Dogs NSW registration papers clearly marked with the date of birth to prove that the puppy was under 12 weeks - it was a 10 week old GSD but Quarantine officers apparently aren't paid to be able to tell how old a puppy is :cry: