Silly People At Dog Parks.

Meanwhile my boy had run over to the side fence of the park which joins a play ground. There was a child in the playground and his mother was inside the dog park. She proceeded to pick up my dog by his two front paws and throw :thumbsup::(:rofl: him over the fence into the playground. I was about 5 meters away from him and he squeeled.

IMO that is just not on and I let her have it - probably could have been somewhat more calm!!! But seriously what if my dog was not good with children and she had just thrown him into a playground full of kids and he bit one of them or he bit her, not to mention what if she had done damage to his legs by picking him up like that or had he landed funny after being thrown.

What a rude, stupid woman!!! What if you had picked up her child and thrown it over the fence into the dog area??? Some people seem to think that a dog is public property :shakehead:

More calm????? Rubbish! I may very well have slapped her. Stupid cow, endangering her own child by throwing a dog towards her, quite apart from the animal cruelty issue.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry do not know how to reply to one post only....

You just erase the excess stuff when you reply, LOL! If you copy and paste opening and closing quote tags (make sure every quote has an opening tag and a closing tag, you can even separate bits from the rest of the quote like I just did. :mad

hortfurball he looked scary like a giant charging beast or rust lion :eek:

It was a massive entire ( VERY entire) rust coloured dog.I would say Ridgie X mastiff maybe.

Strangely that was rather an anticlimax. :D

My silliest moment!! LOL

I was running with my 2 girls. One on each side of me. They always stand right up and highstep so proud when running and I guess I was showing off a bit,,,until they decided to cross right in front of me!!!! Wasn't bad enough I went A over T in front of everyone but both dogs just piled on me. It was like a free-for-all with me stuck beneath both dogs,,trying not to let go of leads which were tangled and not allowing me arms reach to push them off. By the time I got up I had sticks and leaves stuck in my hair, covered in dirt and grass and was spitting like crazy after all the slobbering tongue kisses...

:laugh: OMG! :rofl: :rofl: :eek: Little tearies! I could picture that so well because I know that getting jumped on, pinned down and smooched maneuvre well, Ella's a master. :laugh:

Once when I was doing a training session with Ella (dog reactive so on leash at an on leash park), had treats in my pocket and every time a dog approached I'd get her to sit and stay just off the path out of the way and ignore the dog as it passed to earn her treat. One stupid idiot let his dog approach from behind on a loose leash and get right up her rear and when I glared at him he said the classic "It's ok, my dog's friendly" to which I replied the becoming equally classic "Mine's not". She's not unfriendly as such, but I just wanted to let the guy know what a moron he was being letting his dog approach a strange dog unexpectedly from behind when it's clearly busy training and he has no clue as to its temperament anyway.

i've always been a bit wary of dog parks, but we have a really good one about 2 mins drive from our house, that i will take Molly to once a week for something different. It has a little dog park & a big dog park, which i think is really good.

I've only had one bad experience there with a keg on legs chocolate lab that was entire and OBSESSED with Molly. One quick word to the owner about keeping an eye on his dog was all it took.

Apart from that, everyone at the dog park is great, most people just do laps, and i can honestly say i've never actually seen people stand around and chat. It's not the most friendly dog park in terms of people meeting each other, but to me that's good - because they can actually keep an eye on their dogs effectively. Some people will make comments about others dogs if we walk past each other 'oh she's gorgeous' etc but that's about it.

Edited by kitty

Our dog park is very friendly, most people stand around and chat. I don't usually, I try to keep the walk short so that Meika doesn't get frustrated at being stuck in the stroller. If she's in a good mood at the end of the walk I'll stop and have a chat.

I came across a Ridgeback x Mastiff this morning too, the owner saw little Berri coming and put his dog on the leash. Very responsible I thought. I returned the kind action by only giving Berri a quick swim and then moving on so he could let his dog off again.

I agree with hortfurball, if your dog has issues with other dogs why would you take it to a leash free dog park? Or even if you were afraid of dogs why would you go to a leash free dog park? There are plenty of areas to walk on leash, why go and ruin everyone elses fun by going somewhere and then being rude?

Kitty, I wish we had a little dog park and a big dog park, sometimes I think it would make things so much easier. It's way too easy for a little dog to have a bad experience from a big dog accidently bowling them over. Thankfully Berri seems resilient to it and still goes to play with the bigger dogs, I think it helps that he can outrun them!

Our dog park is very friendly, most people stand around and chat. I don't usually, I try to keep the walk short so that Meika doesn't get frustrated at being stuck in the stroller. If she's in a good mood at the end of the walk I'll stop and have a chat.

I came across a Ridgeback x Mastiff this morning too, the owner saw little Berri coming and put his dog on the leash. Very responsible I thought. I returned the kind action by only giving Berri a quick swim and then moving on so he could let his dog off again.

I agree with hortfurball, if your dog has issues with other dogs why would you take it to a leash free dog park? Or even if you were afraid of dogs why would you go to a leash free dog park? There are plenty of areas to walk on leash, why go and ruin everyone elses fun by going somewhere and then being rude?

Kitty, I wish we had a little dog park and a big dog park, sometimes I think it would make things so much easier. It's way too easy for a little dog to have a bad experience from a big dog accidently bowling them over. Thankfully Berri seems resilient to it and still goes to play with the bigger dogs, I think it helps that he can outrun them!

it is quite good. It actually seems that the tiny little dogs that are in that dog park are actually less friendly than the others. We took Molly in there once, and it wasn't good. So now she stays in the big dog park. To be fair to her, she is used to big dogs as she spent the first 6 months of her life with a Rotty, so she's very comfortable around bigger dogs.

hi guys, interesting thread! I have a few comments about my local dog parks too, one of them is pretty good, usually always has the same people and most of the dogs are friendly, there is just one that really annoys me because its a group of old ladies that are often at the park (I haven't been able to pinpoint a particular time so I can't avoid them) and one of them has an afghan, these ladies just sit at the picnic table and talk and don't really keep an eye on their dogs and this afghan is very territorial. I brought my rescue dog nos into the park to play, (he particularly loves dog parks because his favourite thing is to play chase) and the afghan bolted over to him stood over the top of him and started growling and lifting his lip. Nossi just lay on his back and whimpered and then the dog started having a go at hime and snapping. I ran over and pushed to afghan off and took nos to the oval outside of the park and walked him around on lead instead. Later when the afghan left I let nos back in and another lady who saw it all said "oh don't worry about him (the afghan) he just thinks he owns the park and he's a bit territorial with new dogs". This relaxed attitude really cheesed me off because poor nossi is already submissive and he was petrified. Now when we go to this park he always starts to whimper and doesn't want to get out of the car. Although once he is in there he is fine. I just dont go in if the afghan is there.

One more thing, our other dog park is HUGE (a showground with an offleash oval) and this is great for me because my little staffyx hates being crowded and rushed by young bouncy dogs (which i find happens a lot at dog parks) so at this place I can usually just go to another part of the park and everything is fine because most people's dogs will stay near them. Today however there were these people with 3 huskies and the people were just sitting on the grass having a chat and ignoring their dogs, initially I didn't mind but when I was at the other end of the park (1/2 an acre in size) and I could barely even see the people anymore the huskies were still following me and my dogs around and bothering us and the people did nothing about it! On top of that one of them did a poo and the owners didn't even notice and when I went around and filled up the water bowl at the park the huskies drank the whole thing empty the poor things were so thirsty, obviously their owners hadnt bothered to take them over to the water and fill it up! I just hate it when I'm enjoying a nice walk with my dogs offleash (it is an offleash park) and someone else's dogs are constantly following us around and the owners don't even notice their dogs are a few hundred metres away. Anyway there is my little rant for the day, usually this park is pretty good so I think I am pretty lucky. Thanks for making this thread so I know I'm not alone in my frustrations of irresponsible owners.

speaking of poo ive started taking extra poo bags to the dog beach to give to people who are unprepared, you know the people who look around to see if anyone is watching after their dog has defocated, so they can leave the scene of the crime (little kiddies play in the sand :( ). its my public health initiative kinda like giving out condoms to randy teenagers.

Edited by ncarter

speaking of poo ive started taking extra poo bags to the dog beach to give to people who are unprepared, you know the people who look around to see if anyone is watching after their dog has defocated, so they can leave the scene of the crime (little kiddies play in the sand ;) ). its my public health initiative kinda like giving out condoms to randy teenagers.

:(:):laugh: I love your style!

It really pisses me off to see dog poo at my local park, it's just not that hard to pick it up, and if you are squeamish about hygiene like me, well that's why they invented that nifty hand sanitiser! I always have a little handy size one in my bag, along with a roll of poo bags.

I've been walking with someone whose dog has done its business and they've said "Oh dear I've run out of bags" and gone to walk off. "That's ok," says I cheerfully, "I always carry spares!" and handed them a bag. :(

Nikivds, I'd be reporting the Afghan to the council as a nuisance dog. The lady shouldn't be sitting there allowing her massive dog to intimidate other peoples dogs at a public dog park :) I would never sit around with Berri that long that he became territorial, that is the best thing about my preferred dog park here (there are a few), it runs along a bike track and you just walk and walk and none of the dogs feel cramped in or get territorial.

On Nick, I like your style too :( Seriously though, it's great when people bring extra bags. To be honest when I run out I've been caught on a few occasions where I haven't had a bag and wished someone else had a spare. I'll walk over to the bins and come back but do you think I can find the itty bitty Pap poo? I guess at least if it is that small and inconspicuous it shouldn't be an issue to anyone! Not like the two massive logs I had to step over yesterday right next to the bin... Yuck!

it is quite good. It actually seems that the tiny little dogs that are in that dog park are actually less friendly than the others. We took Molly in there once, and it wasn't good. So now she stays in the big dog park. To be fair to her, she is used to big dogs as she spent the first 6 months of her life with a Rotty, so she's very comfortable around bigger dogs.

Where's the one you go to? We go to Kroll Gardens at Redcliffe which has the small dog park - it's a great idea, Sophie likes to play with the little ones but I completely understand some of the small dogs not wanting massive big boofers like mine rushing over and wanting to play chase!

Nikivds, I'd be reporting the Afghan to the council as a nuisance dog. The lady shouldn't be sitting there allowing her massive dog to intimidate other peoples dogs at a public dog park :( I would never sit around with Berri that long that he became territorial, that is the best thing about my preferred dog park here (there are a few), it runs along a bike track and you just walk and walk and none of the dogs feel cramped in or get territorial.

Yeah i thought about that but these ladies knd of 'own' the park and I thnk f report the dog they will all carry on about it every time i go to the park. I think i will just avoid that park and go to the other one. thanks though

Yeah i thought about that but these ladies knd of 'own' the park and I thnk f report the dog they will all carry on about it every time i go to the park. I think i will just avoid that park and go to the other one. thanks though

I wonder how many other people are saying just that... The council didn't put however much into a dog park for one group of ladies. I think you can put in an anonymous complaint, or ask for your identity to be kept anonymous at least. I wonder how many dogs that dog has caused to become fear aggressive. I wonder if that is going to transfer over to a human. For the sake of the dogs I'd be reporting her, anonymously though - No body wants to be spoken badly of, I do understand that :(

I wonder how many other people are saying just that... The council didn't put however much into a dog park for one group of ladies. I think you can put in an anonymous complaint, or ask for your identity to be kept anonymous at least. I wonder how many dogs that dog has caused to become fear aggressive. I wonder if that is going to transfer over to a human. For the sake of the dogs I'd be reporting her, anonymously though - No body wants to be spoken badly of, I do understand that :flame:

Yeah that might be an idea, thanks