Itchy Paws

Law

A friend has asked me to ask the all knowing people of DOL a question for her.

Her dog has red and itchy paws, ears and genital region. The vet has said it is a yeast infection and they have been using a medicated shampoo which it seems isn’t working.

Does anyone have any advice?

One of her friends apparently told her to treat the paws with watered down metho!! :banghead: I don’t actually know but that doesn’t sound good to me.

I have heard of metho for drying out the area if it is moist ... but I wouldn't want it anywhere near my private areas.

Maybe get the vet to take a scraping/swab to find out exactly what type of infection it is and then once they know that they should be able to treat it...

It could even be a contact allergy...

Edited by Tilly

She said the vet looked at it under a microscope and it is definately yeast. I was under the impression that a yeast infection is something that you treat and it should go away, it shouldn't be hanging around. The vet gave her a cream which she says has been working but it hasnt gotten rid of it. I guess shes wanting some natural remedy ideas?

Remove all gluten from the dog's diet. What is it fed?

Apply some apple cider vinegar to the feet and add a very small amount to drinking water. Keep it away from her rude bits. No to metho.. the last thing inflamation needs is an assault of that kind.

What breed/s of dog is she? Is she white?

He is a lab x poodle, white yes.

He was being fed Science Diet but has switched to Royal Canin.

Ordinary Royal Canin has gluten. She should try for a rice based kibble (most "sensitive" kibbles are) or go raw.

ETA: Does the dog have hairy ear canals?

Edited by poodlefan

Shes not sure about the ear canals, she said she doesnt think they are particuarly hairy but then she says she wouldnt really know as she has nothing to compare them to.

Was she given drops to treat yeast infection in the ears?

What sort of coat has this poodle x got? Is it regularly groomed? Are its feet shaved?

Edited by poodlefan

They got some drops from the vet, she said shes not sure if it was a yeast infection in the ears or something else but the vet gave them drops for whatever it was.

His got a thickish curly coat, she tries to wash him every fortnight and brushes him regularly he goes to the groomer every so often but no his feet aren’t shaved.

They got some drops from the vet, she said shes not sure if it was a yeast infection in the ears or something else but the vet gave them drops for whatever it was.

His got a thickish curly coat, she tries to wash him every fortnight and brushes him regularly he goes to the groomer every so often but no his feet aren’t shaved.

Ok. Quicky introduction to poodle grooming 101. Thickish curly coat on feet retains water. The reason poodles feet are commonly shaved is to lessen the amount of dirt and water they retain. Short hair = no place for moisture to remain and grow yeast. Yeast needs moisture to grow.

To eliminate yeast you need to do two things:

* remove the source of nutrients (probably the ear wax), and

* remove moisture.

Chances are the dog is scratching its ears, licking its feet and its genitals. Treat the ears, lower the ability for the feet to retain moisture and things should improve.

Many poodles have yeast issues which can be assisted by a gluten free diet. Clipped feet also help. I'd recommend it for this dog.

Thanks Poodlefan I'll pass that one now.

I have no idea about this sort of thing as I've never had a dog with allergies or long ears etc

:banghead:

No worries. Make sure if clipping is done it's done poodle style - top of feet and between the pads too.

I have no idea about this sort of thing as I've never had a dog with allergies or long ears etc

No worries. Make sure if clipping is done it's done poodle style - top of feet and between the pads too.

Ok I'll mention that because I know he gets clipped sometimes but not sure where its done or what style etc

Tinea cream or similiar if its yeast.

We use hydrogen peroxide(3/4% strength) to wipe feet.

If the dog has bad ears you need to treat the feet as it will constantly transfer back n forth.

Even plain white vinegar will work on the feet just dunk them in but as already said moist feet breed bacteria .

Diet needs to be looked at & that means everything including treats

Ok I'll mention that because I know he gets clipped sometimes but not sure where its done or what style etc

Better qualify that by saying just poodle style feet.. although once again, keeping the air up to ears is one of the reasons the muzzle is shaved. For dogs with yeasty ears, I recommend they be 15# bladed too.

ETA: Poodles have their undercarriage shaved too. Has this dog got a long thick coat?

Edited by poodlefan

:)

Better qualify that by saying just poodle style feet.. although once again, keeping the air up to ears is one of the reasons the muzzle is shaved. For dogs with yeasty ears, I recommend they be 15# bladed too.

ETA: Poodles have their undercarriage shaved too. Has this dog got a long thick coat?

He has a thickish curly coat, more like tightish ringlets.

:)

He has a thickish curly coat, more like tightish ringlets.

If she's got him shaggy all over, I'd say that's contributing to the issue.