Dog Foods

Budd

Hi all I was just wondering what dog foods are best for my dogs..

At the moment my 8 yr old kelpie is on Pedigree Pal.. My puppy is still on its mums milk and I wont be receiving him for around 2 weeks now.. Ive heard that Barf is good, also any natural dog foods.. There is also Royal Canin which makes breed specific dog foods..

Thanks

Your puppy is on 'mums milk' and you'll be getting it in 2 weeks time?!

How old will the puppy be when you get it? I would hope not until at least 8 weeks of age and if that's the case and it's 6 weeks now and only feeding off the dam - scary!

ETA: I feed raw and my babies are raised on a combination of raw and Royal Canin

Edited by Aziah

I loooove BARF! Well I don't but my 2 year old mini foxie does :laugh:

I buy the BARF patties frozen and pre prepared but have made my own in the past. They actually work out cheaper then tinned supermarket dog food too. Here is a link - BARF

I also alternate his meals with chicken necks and sometimes a lamb bone. So breakie is a third of a pattie for my 4kg boy and dinner is usually a chook neck. I mix it up with the odd sardine in olive oil and raw egg (incl shell).

He glows with health, has firm stools (great as he was getting blocked anal glands on tinned food), has great breath and smells fresh in general, his coat is soft and shiny, teeth pearly white - basically he is one good lookin' dog! :thumbsup:

If you can start to introduce it to your new puppy (in parallel with what the breeder has fed) until fully integrated and have a go at switching your older dog I tip that you'll be impressed with the results.

BARF isn't great for all dogs but I've yet to meet a dog that doesn't thrive on it.

I'd expect he'd be nearly fully weaned by 6 weeks of age - not just getting dry here and there?

It's important you know what's being fed so that you continue that when you bring him home and slowly change him to your own diet (which should be as good or better quality than his current diet)

:laugh: