Torn Ligaments And Bad Knee Cap

APBT

Dog was running up the stairs about a week ago and it was wet and her back left leg slipped and she hurt it, kept her rested for about 5 days and still a limp so il got her to the vet today, Vet sed the tor her ligaments and when she walks/runs her knee cap pops out and the she starts to limp untill she pops it back in her self, got some anti inflammatorys and more rest for her and if it dosnet get better in a few weeks maybe surgery to help it,

anyone had this problem before with there dogs?

We had a partial tear in both back legs but was still OK to walk short distances... We used Ester C powder dissolved in water (helps with healing) and increased fish oil and vitamin E doses by about 20% for a couple of weeks - no surgery needed...

There is quite a bit of info here on DOL about Cruciate Ligament damage/surgery... If you do a search there is plenty to read on it.

Best of luck with healing it can be a long process - you do need to stop the dog from doing to much and stairs are out of the question until the ligament is better (rest is the best option and lots of people keep their dogs crated while they recover)... Recovery is different because the tears are different in each dog...

Bree was operated on just prior to Xmas for torn ligaments in her rear leg. She spun out going too fast round a corner (typically Bree) and tore the ligament completely away. I chose to operate straight away as she is only a small dog and my vet said they had very high success rates esp if done straight away before scar tissue had a chance to build up and would prevent or at least minimise issues later on. Complete cage rest for 3 weeks and just in the last week she has been out for limited periods under very close supervision. Considering she is not a restful dog it has healed well fingers crossed and hopefully will not cause any further issues

yeh im trying to rest her as much as i can, also trying to stop her from jumping and stairs especially, well the stars are what caused it.

If you dont mind me asking cowanbree was the surgery expensive? the vet told me they would grind down the socket the knee cap sits in so it hold in place better.

Mine wasn't but he didn't grind anything just stitched it back on. All up including bandage changes it cost just under $600 which was very cheap. However I must add that the vet may have been feeling extremely sorry for me because on the same day I also had a c-section done and I have been dealing with quite a sick dog who has been in and out getting tests done and on drips etc. Bree was the final straw!

ETA Just occurred to me we are talking about different ligaments, Brees was in the back of the hind leg and had detached at the bone by the hock

Edited by cowanbree

Dog was running up the stairs about a week ago and it was wet and her back left leg slipped and she hurt it, kept her rested for about 5 days and still a limp so il got her to the vet today, Vet sed the tor her ligaments and when she walks/runs her knee cap pops out and the she starts to limp untill she pops it back in her self, got some anti inflammatorys and more rest for her and if it dosnet get better in a few weeks maybe surgery to help it,

They are both different surgeries. One is to repair the cruciate ligament and the other to hold the patella (knee cap) in place. It will depend on what breed your dog is for cruciate repair. Luxating patellas will depend on which way its moving. There are 2 different surgeries to repair that also.

They are both different surgeries. One is to repair the cruciate ligament and the other to hold the patella (knee cap) in place. It will depend on what breed your dog is for cruciate repair. Luxating patellas will depend on which way its moving. There are 2 different surgeries to repair that also.

From what the vet showed and explained to me her knee cap is comming down to the side of the thigh (hard to explain) and is common with more bow legged dogs.

have you had any experience with the surgery ect danelady?

Edited by APBT

Get them to check for an avulsion fracture which will usually require surgery to repair.

Basically what happens is that the ligaments hyper-extend and pull a flake of bone off the leg, allowing the patella to move. This happened to a puppy that I bred some years ago in a kennel accident en route to her new home in the USA. She slipped on wet cement during a comfort stop. Went into the crate on 4 legs, came out on 3.

Surgery at the Michigan University cost in the vicinity of $2000 (USD).