Vestibular Apparatus

AussieGuy

Ive got a beautiful 13 week old German Shepherd that has a unconfirmed problem with his vestibular apparatus. In a nutshell, its a problem with balance and causes a head tilt to the left. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this with a dog so young and if so, what sort of treatment has worked for you?

If it's 'unconfirmed' as vestibular, I'd also be suspecting an inner ear problem or chiropractic issue and get both checked out asap.

If it was sudden onset and not veterinary diagnosed, my first reaction would be a grass seed in the ear.

If it's 'unconfirmed' as vestibular, I'd also be suspecting an inner ear problem or chiropractic issue and get both checked out asap.

If it was sudden onset and not veterinary diagnosed, my first reaction would be a grass seed in the ear.

I thought it was a grass seed at first, so i took him to the vet. His ears were checked and given the OK, but to make sure it wasnt an infection, the vet put him on antiboitics. The antiboitics had no effect on him, so i took him to a Chiropractor. He was given the all clear. The chiropractor did say that it could be a Vestibular Apparatus problem, but to be sure, I would have to travel 500+ km to Sydney to see a neurosurgeon. My vet reckons that isnt necessary and that we can try some alternative options.

Does he constantly have a head tilt?

I know of a pug that has something similar. I believe he was under a year old when it first started. When I looked after him a few years ago he would basically have what I would describe as 'fits' every now and again. These 'fits' ment that he would tilt his head to the side, stare up at you like a dolphin, and walk sideways/lopsided for anything from a few minutes to 10 minutes. It didn't seem to be causing him any pain or distress.

The classic vestibular syndrome usually occurs in older dogs. They have a sudden attack and can take weeks to recover fully.

Edited by puggy_puggy

Hi Aussie Guy, give Charles Kuntz a call at South Paws who are in Moorabbin. I have a patient at my centre who has the same thing but it is a neuro problem. Alternatively give Melbourne University a call in Werribee. They have Neuro surgeons there as well. I hope it all works out!