Vaccination Or Titer

twodoggies2001

My dog is now due for his 12 month booster and I've been debating on what to do for months.

I've eventually decided to give him a C3 (he is booked in next week) and titer as of next year. I do hope that I am making the right decision...

If your dog has already had the puppy shots and first booster I would say titer :(

As for price, I was quoted $250-$260 (can't remember the exact amount). I actually asked if I could have him tested for parvo and distemper only but was told that the hep test was part of it and I had to have all 3 :mad Might query that when I go in as there's no single vacc for hep so if other levels were good but hep was down you would have to give the whole lot anyway -or not at all- if that makes sense. And I would opt for not at all so the hep test in itself is pretty pointless :happydance2:

*sp

It's not so much about the cost, but the fact that I think we over vaccinate our dogs. My vet once let slip that if she didn't do yearly shots, and the owners thought the dogs were outwardly well, she wouldn't get to see them as patients. I do believe in periodic health checks and I do take them in just for that purpose.

Not about the price here either :)

I've decided to go for the booster in the hope that it will provide Kei with a long period of immunity (hopefully lifelong...)

I guess it's an open debate whether they need that final 12 month booster or not. I wouldn't forgive myself if I didn't give my dog the best protection I could nor would I forgive myself if I harmed him by over-vaccinating. I suppose I am trying to strike a balance and do what I think is best :eek: