Brand New

Border Lover

Ok, so I am brand new...!!

So say u have a baby puppy bitch. You go in the ring with all the other baby puppy bitches.

How does it work???

First you all go around together? and then line up?? Then the judge might ask u to do a triangle?? then u come back to ur place? Then if the judge points at u you are best? THen he will pick a reserve?? Then if u are best u come back in after with the baby puppy dogs?? Are u meant to shake the judges hand??

I have no idea? How do u know when to leave the ring? etc

Can anyone tell me how it works?

Thanks

For babies they are only placed IE 1,2,3.

If there is a baby male & female the 2 winners run off against each other for baby of breed.

Ring procedure can vary so make sure you watch previous breeds & inform the steward you are new.A good steward will assit you as much as possible.

Shaking hands is again a judge thing some do some dont.You will now which ones do as they make the first move,

One of the things I did before I started showing was go to as many shows as I could and watch. I was lucky that I had an order in for a puppy with breeders and I sat with them often and bombarded them with questions :hug: I still felt wierd once I got in the ring but I had an idea of what was going on. I also used to show horses so that helped me.

If you can get yourself to some shows and find someone who looks willing to answer your questions then do it. As Showdog said, tell the Steward that you are new and they should help you out. I also find it helpful to let the judge know, they are usually so helpful and patient with newbies. Dont be afraid to ask if you dont understand something the judge has asked you to do.

but most importantly, you have borders? then there will be a few breeds on before you.. WATCH !!!! keep and eye on what the judge is asking the previous competitors to do and study your catalogue so that you understand where you are in the play of things. If you have a baby dog, then you will be one of the first in the ring for your breed... are there any other baby dogs entered? are you following or leading? if you have a baby bitch, then you need to be ready as soon as dog challenge has been done. Be ready at the ring so the Steward doesnt have to call for you several times, they will call you absent if you are off chatting with someone and dont answer your call.

I find being at the ring ready and watching the breed before me go in and those of my breed helps me to relax and get focused.

Most of all... have fun :) if you win, great ! if you dont, then work out why... could your handling be better? could your puppy behave better? is the other pup better than yours? be objective and honest and dont let the judges opinion on the day spoil things. You are going to be up against alot of people who have been showing for a while... but remember.. they started where you are now, they understand. I have a few border friends and they are all lovely people.