Crate Training

Hello all. I realise this is a much-covered topic so I hope you don't mind another question from a soon-to-be puppy owner! (Don't worry - I have searched through and read almost all previous threads here on crate training so I'm not looking for an A-Z).

A bit of background might help: Our new puppy (mine and my finacee's) will be 10 weeks when we get him. Named already: Ollie. He is an Australian Terrier. We both work full time but we're only 10 minutes max from home. First two weeks one of us will be home all day off work and this is when we plan to undertake the serious crate training. After that either me, my finacee or my mum (retired) will be able to come around to play etc at lunch time. Our ultimate aim is to have him able to come and go (we have a doggy door already from previous house owners) inside/outside as he please and to have him doing his business outside.

Several previous threads suggested the following as a good guide:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%2...our%20Puppy.pdf

I found it a great resource. Just raises a couple of questions for me:

1. Will using a pad as suggested in the "long-term" confinement be a good thing or do people think it might undermine the training of the puppy to go outside?

2. I'm not keen on crating him for the 4-5 hours we'll be gone for once we're back at work. But I'm not sure he'll be ready to be coming and going through the doggy door by this stage. Any thoughts?

Anyway, hope I haven't rambled on too much. :mad Look forward to people's thought.

I'm a firm believer in crate training.

first and best thing to always remember, a crate is not a prison...we humans get that stuck in our heads..it's not the case. Once you sort that out in your head..your dog will be just fine.

Hi angelsun. From everything I read I'm definitely keen on crate training. Thanks for that document I will add it to my growing list of helpful literature!

When I said I wasn't keen on crating for 4-5 hours at 12 weeks it wasn't because I'm concerned about imprisoning him, I was more concerned about whether that would be too long for him to hold it in thus forcing him to go in his den and possibility causing him distress.

Edited by Aussie_Ollie

When I said I wasn't keen on crating for 4-5 hours at 12 weeks it wasn't because I'm concerned about imprisoning him, I was more concerned about whether that would be too long for him to hold it in thus forcing him to go in his den and possibility causing him distress.

As a general (very general) rule of thumb, a puppy should be able to hold on for about as many hours as he is months old. Four month old puppy = should be able to hold on for about four hours. Though every dog is an individual, and your mileage may vary!

Since you're taking the first few weeks off work, you'll be able to get him into the routine of holding in the crate for a few hours, then being taken out to pee, so that will be far easier on him than just being stuck in a crate and expected to hold for 4 hours from the get go.

Good luck with the new addition! I can't say miss the sleepless nights, but puppies are heaps of fun. :curtsey:

How exciting, a new baby!

Crate training has so many uses, it gives you peace of mind and gives the dog a special place. It's also a great thing to learn for if you start showing or trialling as having a dog that is very comfortable in a crate is a great asset.

I think your set up and arrangement sounds good. I expect you'll have a very happy and well adjusted dog.

Good luck!

Hello all. I realise this is a much-covered topic so I hope you don't mind another question from a soon-to-be puppy owner! (Don't worry - I have searched through and read almost all previous threads here on crate training so I'm not looking for an A-Z).

A bit of background might help: Our new puppy (mine and my finacee's) will be 10 weeks when we get him. Named already: Ollie. He is an Australian Terrier. We both work full time but we're only 10 minutes max from home. First two weeks one of us will be home all day off work and this is when we plan to undertake the serious crate training. After that either me, my finacee or my mum (retired) will be able to come around to play etc at lunch time. Our ultimate aim is to have him able to come and go (we have a doggy door already from previous house owners) inside/outside as he please and to have him doing his business outside.

1. Will using a pad as suggested in the "long-term" confinement be a good thing or do people think it might undermine the training of the puppy to go outside?

2. I'm not keen on crating him for the 4-5 hours we'll be gone for once we're back at work. But I'm not sure he'll be ready to be coming and going through the doggy door by this stage. Any thoughts?

Anyway, hope I haven't rambled on too much. :) Look forward to people's thought.

I'm a firm believer in crate training.

first and best thing to always remember, a crate is not a prison...we humans get that stuck in our heads..it's not the case. Once you sort that out in your head..your dog will be just fine.

Hi angelsun. From everything I read I'm definitely keen on crate training. Thanks for that document I will add it to my growing list of helpful literature!

Yes, too long. He'd be likely to soil the crate and undo the training.

I would put the crate in the laundry or similar (where he has access to the dog door) and let him use it to sleep in. I'd not suggest confining him for this long at any stage if you aren't there.

Anyway, hope I haven't rambled on too much. :) Look forward to people's thought.

What size crate do you have for him? My Aussies were both flying in and out of their doggy door by 9 - 10 weeks of age, they are a clever little dog that catch on very quickly, usually only need to put them through the door a few times before they are going it alone. Mine are crate trained for showing but will quite often take themselves off to their crates if they want "alone" time. I have mine set up that when we go out they are confined to our bedroom that has the doggie door to outside, the few accidents as pups have usually been from excitement when we come home.