Have You / Do You Work In A Kennel?

colliehound

Thank you for all the input.

I am looking at potentially being an owner/manager. Just need to raise the funds with the bank.................

I am currently a GM of HR for a global company - so very up on how to treat staff like human beings, set clear ground rules, provide thorough training etc. I am pretty assertive - so quick to help difficult owners understand the rules and as for children running riot........................There will be a holding pen at the entrance...... :rofl: (a joke, a joke, take off flame suit..........)

The gross side of things doesn't bother me greatly as my alternate "retirement" career is ambo and I would prefer dog goo to human goo.

If you could work in a kennel that was run very efficiently with clear job lists, extensive training, NO non staff behind the scenes, good equipment, no requirement to deal with difficult customers (owner does all check in, check out, complaints), strong WH&S focus etc would that be appealing?

I have been talking to a number of existing kennels, particularly those that allow people to stay as well (guest house style) and I am really amazed at how few have "pre visit checklists" to help people know what to bring, don't have a "rules" list - eg don't feed fluffy a full roast dinner the day before admitting to the kennels etc. Like you get if you are checking poochy into the vets. Is there a reason for this??

Thanks

I was speaking with the owner of the cattery I use when he came to pick up our cat. They also now own a kennel and I was asking him about it. They do lots of good things with the dogs (cuddle times, play times etc.) and any money they are making is being sunk back into the business to improve condition (it was just a bog standard kennel when they bought it).

Anyway he was telling me that their staff are happy to be working in a kennel that actually does all the 'extras' that are claimed. According to the staff many kennels say they do all sorts of stuff that they just don't do.

Now I know this is the owner that I was talking to, and he wouldn't badmouth his own kennel, but I really trust these people, they are true animal lovers. They are also happy to take on dogs that are diabetic (which apparently many kennels won't).

They do lots of good things with the dogs (cuddle times, play times etc.)

The problem is these things shouldnt have to be paid for.This is part of running a kennel & daily routine.

Colliehound it depends on how much money you want to spend in establishing or upgrading.

How many kennels you wish to have

What your council guidelines are to what can/can't be built.

As for a check list clients are told but many dont listen & this applies to the vets,you would be surprised how many still feed fido before surgery & waste vets time.

The reality is you must emphasis the most important factors of what to bring .

Many dont listen at the best of times so you can only hope some form of common sense prevails