Helppppppppp Barking Puppy!

BooBooBear

Humphrey is 9 weeks old and been with me a week. We have been doing OK with the puppy pen but tonight he won't stop barking, he's been going for about 10 minutes.

Do I go out to him????? I took him to the toilet before putting him in there but now he is going NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to add: when I say out to him I mean into the other room not outside!

Edited by BooBooBear

Thanks Megan.

I actually did go in to him, took him outside again to see if he needed to go to the toilet which he didn't, but came back in had a drink of water and literally flopped on the floor beside the water bowl and has been quiet ever since. I think he was hot?? He's now sleeping just on the floor tiles and hasn't stirred.

Do you think he could have been distressed because he was hot?

Personally I would wait for a reasonable break in the barking (if you get one) then I'd go into him. But I wouldn't fuss him much, just stay low key and calm, talk to him, let him calm down and then after a while leave again. If he's quiet after a little while go in again and repeat. Eventually wait longer and longer before going to him, but don't rush this. Of course if you go in and he's asleep, just back out the door again.

The first time you do this, you may only get a very short break in the barking, but it does have to be a distinct break of maybe 5-10 secs or so, it really depends how hysterical he is. If he's just barking to test you, you'll get a longer break, if he's worked himself up, it won't be long.

Don't go in when he's making a noise.

Worst case one trick might be to 'accidentally on purpose' distract him. Like drop a book or turn on the radio or something, this might make him stop and think, a bit like blowing on a baby's face.

I was sleep deprived for weeks just because of multiple trips out at night, although Gypsy was pretty quiet, it is exhausting, but it does get better.

Just last week Gypsy had two nights (at 7.5 months old) when she decided to bark all night in her crate next to my bed :eek: was not impressed.

Hi BooBooBear,

Ignore him.

Chester has been with us a week and after the first couple of days the OH had to go back to work and when he leaves he wakes Chester up and after that, he starts going nuts. So STUPID :eek: me let him in the bedroom....... and now he ALWAYS (well, so far) goes nuts to come in with me after the OH leaves, because I let him know that the way he was behaving led him to get what he wanted (to be in with me).