Does Anyone Choose Not To Crate Train?

BooBooBear

I also did not crate train, I took a week off from work and the rule was very simple

For the first 3 days, the pup was taken out every hour on the dot, and after eating and waking up.

The following 3 days, the pup was taken out every 2 hours plus after eating and waking up

The following 3 days, the pup was taken out every 3 hours plus after eating and waking up.

Our door is left open during the day so the pup could go outside himself, it only took 4 days and no more accidents.

At night we put her in a box high enough so she could not jump out (yes a crate), but this is for safety due to electrical cords. She woke me up at approx 1 to 2am, it took about 10 minutes to do a potty break, then straight back to bed and straight to sleep, except one night, when she needed to go outside again for a poop. They cry when they wake up as they don't want to make a mess in their bed, its quick and easy.

The benefit is that they learn to be potty trained quick as they rarely make a mess.

The funny thing is I asked the puppy pre school how long it would take for her to sleep through the night (it had been a while since having a puppy), and the silly cow said "What, you get up during the night, stick it in the laundry and it will just make a mess if it needs too". LOL

The current dog took a few months to sleep through, the previous one took a little longer. Our current pup slept through at 13 weeks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never crate trained. I simply watch the pup when it is inside, ensure it goes outside at regular intervals, if it's circling, and after meals. Stay outside until something happens, make a big fuss. Big dogs here go outside before bed, pup goes too. We rarely have accidents.

I teach them early what is acceptable to chew and what is not. Pups sleep a lot anyhow, so you aren't watching them all the time. Only when they are awake.

I don't believe in crate trainng. When the dogs are older, they are trained to stay in large crates, or show trolleys when they are drying after a bath, or if they are being fed separately. An hour or so max after a bath and a short time to eat.

Me too. My puppies are pretty well house trained before they go home without the use of a crate.

The only time I introduce a crate before they leave is if they will be travelling in a crate to get them used to it so they dont get stressed during the travelling.