Houdini

Gilypoo

Hi Everyone,

I am at a witts end.... I have an 11 month old GSD, she has decided to make it her mission to escape every morning. We have an acre block and Council regulations state that we are only aloud to have 900mm high ring lock fencing (which we do).. I know I will get some flack about it but we have also installed a dog confinment fence (electric collar) aswell... She still manages to get out. I have done a perimeter check and there are no holes or damaged fencing so I am assuming she is jumping.

I would obviously perfer not to tir her up all day, but its looking like I might have to if I cant find any solutions.

Any suggestions on what I can do, as I would hate to lose her, or worse have her injured by a passing car..

PLEASE HELP.. :laugh:

Eep! What a predicament! Is it certain times she's making a run for it? Eg, when you leave for work or something? If so can you construct a special big dog run for that time and then let her have the run of the yard other times?

What an odd council!

Eep! What a predicament! Is it certain times she's making a run for it? Eg, when you leave for work or something? If so can you construct a special big dog run for that time and then let her have the run of the yard other times?

What an odd council!

The only time that we have noticed her out is around 6.45 in the morning.. We have had reports from neighbours that she has been out thru the day and they have put her back in the yard for us...

Im in WA and those regulations are pretty stock standard here, we are in a "bush" area and they want to keep the area in a certain theme.

Hi Everyone,

I am at a witts end.... I have an 11 month old GSD, she has decided to make it her mission to escape every morning. We have an acre block and Council regulations state that we are only aloud to have 900mm high ring lock fencing (which we do).. I know I will get some flack about it but we have also installed a dog confinment fence (electric collar) aswell... She still manages to get out. I have done a perimeter check and there are no holes or damaged fencing so I am assuming she is jumping.

I would obviously perfer not to tir her up all day, but its looking like I might have to if I cant find any solutions.

Any suggestions on what I can do, as I would hate to lose her, or worse have her injured by a passing car..

PLEASE HELP.. :laugh:

dogs seem to fall into two categories, those that do and those that dont - escape that is. my first shep Rinty was a bugger! he would hear the school bell go and be off and over to meet my sister at the gate. he would take himself for walks around my high school, accompany neighbours down to the shops, even went down to the station and got into the train with our next door neighbour!!! in those days he got away with it, it would be a different story now. good luck, do whatever you have to do, I hope you get good suggestions on here, I can only think he is a bit lonely, so another dog for company??

She has a 11 month old Great Dane sister, so she has a constant companion. That is normally the only way that we know she is out because then Dane barks non stop cause she wants to get out aswell (she is a little bit too big to jump) :laugh:

Sounds like your will need a run for her.

Can she sleep inside with your to avoid the early morning escapes?

As the have always been outside dogs they havnt really been toilet trained properly.. They obviosly go out when they need to but I dont know if they could hold it all night... I would hate to wake up and find Great Dane and GSD poos all thru my living room hehe :laugh:

I might have to toughen up and just do it if it will keep her safe.

Maybe put them in the laundry or bathroom to sleep at night. Dogs are less likely to toilet in smaller areas. At 11 months of age they CAN hold on it's a case of training them to DO it.

Maybe put them in the laundry or bathroom to sleep at night. Dogs are less likely to toilet in smaller areas. At 11 months of age they CAN hold on it's a case of training them to DO it.

I might try that, it wil be a very tight squeeze however, my Dane is 65kg and GSD 28kg.. We only have a small Laundry and bathroom.... It will be nice and cosy.. hehe :laugh:

I have very talented escape artists in the form of Belgian Shepherds. I have had builit a special enclosure that is escape proof, it was well worth the expense and the effort to know that the escape artists [2 out of 5] are safe.

You will probably find that the fence height regulation refers to boundary fencing. Check with the council if you can put up a 1.8m chainwire fenced yard inside your boundary fence. They may have a rule as to how far inside the boundary it has to be. Then just fence part of the yard with the higher fence.

The biggest worry with a GSD running loose in a rural are is that she will end up chasing stock and get herself shot. A 900mm fence would not be considered safe fencing for any medium to large breed so they need a more secure yard or run within the property for any time they are not being supervised.

Maybe you could put a couple of strips of electric fence along the top of your current one. I know you said you have the containment collar but in my experience they don't always work ( as you've found out )lol.

My guys have only to hear the static hum coming from it and don't go near it. She'd only try to jump over it once and that's all they need. I'm talking about a dog strength zap not a horse or cattle zap!!

What an odd council!

The only time that we have noticed her out is around 6.45 in the morning.. We have had reports from neighbours that she has been out thru the day and they have put her back in the yard for us...

Im in WA and those regulations are pretty stock standard here, we are in a "bush" area and they want to keep the area in a certain theme.

I have a 5 acre 'bush' block in a 'resource zone' . . . also a kennel area. I had a lot of escape problems until I put two strands of electric fence (no collars . . . the stuff they sell for horses and cattle). I can't say the dogs were pleased by the electric fence . . . but they respect it. Have had no problems since it went up. It can be made inconspicuous and I don't think your local authorities will give you grief. If she's jumping (mine were digging under), electric fence won't stop her . . . but you may be able to teach her it isn't safe to get near enough to the fence to jump . . . eg, put up three strands a metre inside your boundary fence.

What an odd council!

I have a 5 acre 'bush' block in a 'resource zone' . . . also a kennel area. I had a lot of escape problems until I put two strands of electric fence (no collars . . . the stuff they sell for horses and cattle). I can't say the dogs were pleased by the electric fence . . . but they respect it. Have had no problems since it went up. It can be made inconspicuous and I don't think your local authorities will give you grief. If she's jumping (mine were digging under), electric fence won't stop her . . . but you may be able to teach her it isn't safe to get near enough to the fence to jump . . . eg, put up three strands a metre inside your boundary fence.

Good suggestion about the electric fence but make sure it is always turned on. I know of several BCs that listen for the hum of electric fences to see if they are turned on before deciding if they will risk getting through. I imagine a GSD would be smart enough to work this out as well.

What an odd council!

I had to do this for my GSD. She was fine when I was out but would jump the fence when I was home and had to go out onto the block to check the horses or what not. I can tell you I felt terrible when she got zapped, BUT it only took one go and she has never jumped it again. I dont even have it set up now.

You can get 'stand offs' that will hold the tape out about 20cm from the fence, so they should not be able to get to the fence to jump before they get zapped, or it should zap them while on your side of the fence. It does depend on how your dog jumps I guess, it could still clear it.

Good suggestion about the electric fence but make sure it is always turned on. I know of several BCs that listen for the hum of electric fences to see if they are turned on before deciding if they will risk getting through. I imagine a GSD would be smart enough to work this out as well.

I tried to set up a system along the bottom of my boundary fence to stop my girl going under the fence and chasing roos. The smart bugger learned very quickly how to worm her way around the tape and not get zapped. :thumbsup:

It was something to watch, she became quite a contortionist.

What an odd council!

Yes we have that problem, she would listen to the beep and then either run for freedom if the gate was open or bolt in the other direction.. Another problem we have is because she is a long hair, her coat is so full and thick, we have to constantly shave her neck for the prongs to sit close enough to her skin... We have uped the strength but she still pushes it...i was outside (past the zap line) this morning getting then bins, i turned around and saw her bolt full speed through the opening to get to me .. She know if she runs fast enough she wont get zapped for long..

I might have to try the dog strength cattle fence to stop the jumping.

I feel like the biggest witch, when she gets zapped... After walks, when i put the zap collar on her she trys to hide.. So she has associated the two objects together. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your advise. I really appreciate it.

Maybe you could put a couple of strips of electric fence along the top of your current one. I know you said you have the containment collar but in my experience they don't always work ( as you've found out )lol.

My guys have only to hear the static hum coming from it and don't go near it. She'd only try to jump over it once and that's all they need. I'm talking about a dog strength zap not a horse or cattle zap!!

I was going to suggest something along those lines as well, my daughters young BC was getting out , they got warned by the a very nice ranger on more than one occasion. He was jumping over a 7ft side fence, anyway they got an electric fence unit and put wire all around the perimiter. I investigated those containment collars and found them unsuitable in this case. Being the smart breed that he is it took one zap and he hasn't been out since. You can set the units to different strengths. It was better than having a roaming dog or worse a dog hit by a car.