Optimum Puppy Formula (dry)

My dogs get Optimum when they have dry food (they also gets lots of other goodies!)

All of my dogs do very well on it, no difference between how they looked and their poops compared to Advance.

I buy the 8 or 9kg bags when the supermarket has them on special, so also very economical.

I would try Eagle Pack, Nutro and there are many other good premium dry foods, but they are not available where I am so I stick with what they like and do well on.

I just bought a bag of this and am slowly transitioning Dora (4mo) to it from her SuperCoat Puppy Formula.

Does anyone have any feedback on it? Cana nyone suggest a dry food their dogs love? I dont mind how much I pay, as long as she eats it... right now she doenst like any brand of kibble :laugh:

PS. Dora hates the Pedigree dry food... any of your dogs hate it too?

Kyzer loves Pedigree when he gets to eat it at my brother's house, it's like McDonalds for him :laugh: Junk food.

He's quite fussy, never been a big eater. I've fed him heaps of brands of kibble and he had good condition on all of them but never scoffed any, prefers it with some mackerel (available in tins from Woolies for cheap) or yoghurt mixed through. He's never been a fan of Sardines, not sure why.

He did like the Advance Turkey and Rice though. I've got him on Pro Plan selects at the moment but they stopped making it :birthday: Next up is Nutro.

I feed him chicken wings and frames too, he loves those.

They stopped making Pro Plan Selects? :birthday::birthday:

I have a Kaiser too! :( Although, mine is a GSP.

They stopped making Pro Plan Selects? ;) ;)

I have a Kaiser too! :rofl: Although, mine is a GSP.

Apparently so, I can't find it anywhere and the girl at Pet Stock said they have stopped making it.

There are millions of Kyzer / Kaiser / Kyza's ;) Must just sound awesome :laugh:

Thanks for all the feedback. I gather that Advance is quite good, so once I'm finished with Optimum I'll switch to that :birthday:

I had my Boxer on Optimum Puppy dry food til he was 18 months. Now he and my Bullmastiff x Ridgeback are on Great Barko.

My French Bulldog was on Royal Canin medum breed Puppy and now on Royal Canin Medium breed Adult and he LOVES it.

I've got him on Pro Plan selects at the moment but they stopped making it :)

Ahhh so thats why its been super discounted and my local pet produce place !

They stopped making Pro Plan Selects? :laugh: :D

I have a Kaiser too! :party: Although, mine is a GSP.

Apparently so, I can't find it anywhere and the girl at Pet Stock said they have stopped making it.

There are millions of Kyzer / Kaiser / Kyza's :o Must just sound awesome :thanks:

:thumbsup: Probably does! :D

My boy came with his name, I spoke to his old owners about it when they dropped him off..

They named him "Kaiser" because it means King in German, and he is a German Shorthaired Pointer. :laugh:

Sounded logical to me!

Not that he even knew his name when he came to me. :eek:

None of my dogs have touched Pedigree!! Be wary of foods that have funny shapes and colours- like Pedigree's colourful bones. This is purely marketing for the dog owner- your dog doesn't care what the food looks like, just how it tastes (and hopefully it's good for your dog too). IMO if a dog food company is investing time and money into producing a product that is visually pleasing to the dog owner, this energy would be far better investing in the development of a premium product- for the ultimate consumer, the dog!!

I feed Nutrience myself, but Advance is an excellent super premium food too. The specific type of Advance that you get will depend on the size, age and condition of your dog, but here's a link with them all so you can compare! :rolleyes:

http://www.pookinuk.com.au/pet-products.asp?categoryID=30

We are Eagle Pack fans here- specifically the Natural (purple bag), was great for all the dogs I've fed it too- Dobe X, Newfoundland, Greyhound foster, Kelpie X, Border Terriers, Smooth Collie, Shih Tzu X.

We currently use it for our Border Terriers & Collie Smooth :) it keeps them in beautiful condition. We also add things like Nature's Gift tinned food, sardines, raw egg (whole with the shell crushed), natural yoghurt, scraps etc. Sometimes they just have it plain and they are okay with that (probably because they know if they don't eat it, they miss out :) ).

However I would recommend one of the Holistic varieties if you only have the one dog to feed (i used it when I just had my 2 terriers but it's a bit too pricey with the amount the collie eats!!).

For supermarket foods, if we've run out or can't get to the stock feed store or just want a small bag for some reason, I would use either Optimum or Purina ONE. I would also rather use the Coles brand over Pedigree or Supercoat. Like Ellz, I used to feed Supercoat and was very happy with it until the formula changed :)

I've only fed Advance once when we won a small bag, and had no complaints, I just prefer Eagle Pack as a brand ;)

At the end of the day, though- what works for one dog may not work for another. It also depends on what is available to you and what your budget is.